Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SX260, great for carputer and where to get it

http://www.usedpc.com/dellnotebooks.html
    This is a great place to get your dell sx260 from. They are used, but I have purchased about 10 from them and never had a problem. A few months ago they were selling them for $199.00. Great deal, seems they are looking for a better profit. Anyway still a good bargain compared to the current ebay prices of these.
    New Age Garmin - Skin for RR
    New Age Slider - RR SKin In Progress
    "It's called CODE because I don't want you to know"

Also using the sx270 for a HTPC media center works awsome too. Running that in my living room using the DVI connection. These computers rock.
    The SX270 could also be used in your car, notice the $20.00 price difference same computer different connector. Pick up a DVI to VGA adapter on ebay for a few bucks and you save your self some change.
    GOOD LUCK and HAPPY HUNTING>

Comment

Here is a link on how to connect your DELL SX260 using a Carnetix P2140, same instructions can be adapted to work with the DSX12VD power supply as well.
      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/powe...-question.html

Comment

wow... you're really excited... good find

2006 Mazda 3
        Behringer DCX-2496
        JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
        JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

Just happy to share a good deal

Comment

Also trying to stear people away from VIA boards, there really not all that great. Considering this alternative. The people that get interested in these the more options for power supplies and other things will become available for them.

Comment

VIA boards...not that great...

I guess it depends on your needs.

But the Dell seems to be ok...and the price is right...what video card comes in it?

SX260266 Regular price: $299.00 Sale price: $249.95
              current projects

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeCummins View Post
                But the Dell seems to be ok...and the price is right...what video card comes in it?
                I have one, they have 64MB onboard intel Video.
                It looks like they are back down to $199 too.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeCummins View Post
                  VIA boards...not that great...

I guess it depends on your needs.

SX260266 Regular price: $299.00 Sale price: $249.95
                  Via boards are great but they lack speed and power. My dell cold boots in less than 30 seconds. My via would take over 1 minute. Also the via can not handle intense graphics like flash skins in road runner. The dell handles them with ease. Anyway, enough about that.
                  Good luck to everyone and there installs, mine is only days away from being completed.

Comment

Seems a good choice, can't beat the price.

I went for a GX series "small form factor" so I could have the PCI slots. I just prefer my soundcard in the slot instead of usb. It is slighty larger than the SX series though. I cut my case down and mounted it in the vehicle. It's now 12"x14"x3" with no loss of functions (well, the dvd drive is now usb! No big, as I wanted slot load in dash anyways.)

Nearly the same price (about 100 bucks more shipped to my door from tigerdirect.com).

Performance? Well, they're both (SX + GX) P4 2+ ghz processors. How much more do you need in the car?

Cheers

BJ
                    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                    Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Originally posted by greatwhite View Post
                      Performance? Well, they're both (SX + GX) P4 2+ ghz processors. How much more do you need in the car?

Cheers

BJ
                      It depends on what you want to do down the road.
                      I wen't with the SX270 becasue the motherboard can support 800MHz FSB and Hyperhtreading CPU's.
                      I took the 40GB Drive, 512MB of ram and the 2.8GHz CPU and sold them on eBay for a little over $100.00, I popped in a spare 3Ghz HT CPU, 2GB of ram and a 100GB HDD, I figure I'm good to go for a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X