New to Car PC's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Car PC's

I'm trying to design the system I'm going to build for my new car, but I have a few questions I need answered so I know what parts I'm going to need to get.

I'm doing this on a 2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan. First off, I want the PC to replace the Head Unit and all of it's functions. I want to have my GPS, OBDII, and Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, as well as DVD's and My Music including FM/AM. I want all of this to come through my computer and go from there to my speakers and monitors.

One of my chief questions is about the sound system. How do I get the sound output to go from my carpc out to my speakers (and sound at least as good as my existing head unit? How do I get the FM/AM radio functionality on my PC? What parts do you recommend I have in order to accomplish this?

Next, I want to the PC to handle the bluetooth connectivity for my cell phone. How do I accomplish this? Do I have to run a microphone into the PC? Can I have the PC be able to use the bluetooth to answer my phone and project it through my speakers? Is there some particular software I have to have for this?

I think these 2 questions will get me started. Thanks to anyone who helps me out. I'd also love to hear from anyone who has already done a carpc in an Infiniti G35 (especially 2005 and newer).

I'd suggest you use the function on these forums and read the FAQ emporium.

I've also moved your thread to the newbie forum. I'd suggest you read the stickey that's at the top of that forum that was written specifically for people like yourself.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Thanks for nothing, I wanted specific hardware recomendations, and I've spent 2 days looking over these forums, including using the Search function. I've even called mp3car.com and I just don't understand exactly how to do it. I'm glad you were so helpful, thank you very much.

I did finally find the 'how to make it go to your stereo' thread though, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by kermitbuns View Post
        One of my chief questions is about the sound system. How do I get the sound output to go from my carpc out to my speakers (and sound at least as good as my existing head unit? How do I get the FM/AM radio functionality on my PC? What parts do you recommend I have in order to accomplish this?
        term: Search titles only in the FAQ emporium for SOUND

result: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-...tereo-amp.html

Next, I want to the PC to handle the bluetooth connectivity for my cell phone. How do I accomplish this? Do I have to run a microphone into the PC? Can I have the PC be able to use the bluetooth to answer my phone and project it through my speakers? Is there some particular software I have to have for this?
        for: StreetDeck and Phone Control, among a few options off the top of my head.

I think these 2 questions will get me started. Thanks to anyone who helps me out. I'd also love to hear from anyone who has already done a carpc in an Infiniti G35 (especially 2005 and newer).
        this forum: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/ for : G35 in the title...

The store does not exist to answer your questions on how to install a CarPC unless you have paid for the extra service upfront.

We cannot survive as a company by holding everyones hands when they first come to this hobby.

There is a TON of information avaliable on this forum. You will best be served by searching for answers to your questions rather than asking for someone to give you all of the information. There are a few reasons for this: A) you will actually learn about what you are doing. It's kind of like just copying the answers on homework rather than actually doing the homework. B) you will most likely find answers to questions you didn't even know you had yet....I promise.

If you're looking for a simple project, this is not the hobby for you. If you're looking to get involved in this project, and willing to take the time that is necessary to learn, then this is the hobby for you.

Also, I might add, being snappy with people on here when they try and head you in the right direction, won't go over very well.
        Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I'm doing this on a 2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan. First off, I want the PC to replace the Head Unit and all of it's functions. I want to have my GPS, OBDII, and Bluetooth connectivity to my phone, as well as DVD's and My Music including FM/AM. I want all of this to come through my computer and go from there to my speakers and monitors.
          There are too many variables in what you are doing to recomend hardware to you. I assume that you have little experience in building PC's. ing and reading the stickys for newcomers will help you to start to understand the different types of systems and what they are capable of.

This has been done before, check out what durwood is doing with his Mazda here.
          There is a different way of doing this for every Front End there is.
          By my count you asked 7 questions. If you spend anytime browsing this forum you would know that no one likes to answer the same questions over and over. Especially when the information is covered in the newbie stickys or can be found by ing and . Asking questions W/O ing will get you .

Spend some time reading and you will find a wealth of information.
          If you make something Idiot proof....

The world will make a better Idiot.

CarPC Progresss: Planning [x-------------------]

Comment

Oops, RedGTiVR6 beat me too it.
            If you make something Idiot proof....

The world will make a better Idiot.

CarPC Progresss: Planning [x-------------------]

Comment

btw - I'm also doing the sound quality thing with my install (and have been for some time now)...if you need another project to get ideas from....

there's also TurboCad6 and ScottFX as well.
              Jan Bennett

Comment

^^Not exactly the best way to introduce yourself.^^

Red is pretty knowledgeable and well respected here. I suggest you check your attitude a bit or people are going to come down pretty hard on you. I personally don't feel like helping you out after such a brash and rude response but will anyways.

Now, I'll get you started:

1. the sound comes from your on board sound or an usb/pci card and from there you have to go to an amp. From there it's pretty much a standard aftermarket audio setup.

2. search for Phonoco. Depending on your brand of cell phone

3. am/fm - search for silabs, radioshark, or hcqt.

4. Gps - search for iGuidance, destinator, streets and trips, etc.

5. OBD II - search.

You really have to read the forums. these are all very broad questions and there is no one answer. You have to just wade in and let the info wash over you. It'll take a while, but with time, patience and persistance, you will understand and realize that when someone says "search", it's not personal or rude, there's just not a simple answer and you ned to pull the info together to make your own system.

Cheers

BJ
                For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

whoops!

Beat to it while I was typing!

Cheers

BJ
                  For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                  Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

I'll start off with apologies. I am sorry for coming off like that, I've had a rough day and it was just a straw on the camels back so to speak. So sorry for being a clown Red, and thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Also, thanks to the rest of you for being kind enough to give me info even though I was being a jerk.

These are great starts for me, thanks again guys, and I welcome any more input.

Sincerely,
                    Kermit

Comment

oh man!!! you already appologized, I've been growing a liking to yelling at newbies who like to give people huge attitudes when they don't get spoon fed as much as they all seem to want...

just to give this post some kind of purpose... mp3car is almost done developing their own radio reciever, that gets hd radio also, that thing looks pretty sweet, may wanna check that out

2006 Mazda 3
                      Behringer DCX-2496
                      JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
                      JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

Originally posted by greatwhite View Post
                        ^^Not exactly the best way to introduce yourself.^^

Red is pretty knowledgeable and well respected here. I suggest you check your attitude a bit or people are going to come down pretty hard on you. I personally don't feel like helping you out after such a brash and rude response but will anyways.

Now, I'll get you started:

1. the sound comes from your on board sound or an usb/pci card and from there you have to go to an amp. From there it's pretty much a standard aftermarket audio setup.

2. search for Phonoco. Depending on your brand of cell phone

3. am/fm - search for silabs, radioshark, or hcqt.

4. Gps - search for iGuidance, destinator, streets and trips, etc.

5. OBD II - search.

You really have to read the forums. these are all very broad questions and there is no one answer. You have to just wade in and let the info wash over you. It'll take a while, but with time, patience and persistance, you will understand and realize that when someone says "search", it's not personal or rude, there's just not a simple answer and you ned to pull the info together to make your own system.

Cheers

BJ
                        By using my computer audio out and splitting it to two RCAs that go into an AMP don't I lose left/right stereo capabilities?

Comment

By using my computer audio out and splitting it to two RCAs that go into an AMP don't I lose left/right stereo capabilities?
                          no.
                          Old Systems retired due to new car
                          New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

make sure you get a stereo spliter, it will have a white rca and a red rca

2006 Mazda 3
                            Behringer DCX-2496
                            JL300/4 Focal 6W4311B Focal TN52
                            JL500/1 JL10w6v2

Comment

also depends on which motherboard you are using. if it has 5.1 or other type of surround sound you can get it to output front and rear, usually in the bios.
                              Volvo V40 Phase 2 2002. T4 turbo upgrade.... currently no mp3 or carputer..... researching options

Comment

Working...
                              X