Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multi source output to different screens

Hello,

I am newbie, so applogies if this has already been covered, but I could not find in the forumn.

I am specing out a car pc and was wondering if it was possible to do the following.

i want to be able to have multiple screens in my car, 1 at the front (flip out screen) and 2 in the back (headrests).

What i was wondering was whether or not it is possible to have different items playing on each via the Car PC.

For example, navigation at the front and Divx playing at the back or a divx movie at the front and a different one playing at the back.

Is this possible?

Also, if anyone has recommendations for a Car PC, screens, headunit etc, I would appriciate it.

hi mistys77,

the ability to display different things on each screen will depend on what you use for your computer.

if you want to keep the smallest system possible, then you would be using onboard video (which will only have 1 video output, you can "split" the signal out with a VGA splitter but both screens will display the same thing).

to make each display separate, you will need a video card with multiple display outputs. most video cards have 2 [DVI or VGA] outputs and 1 [S-Video] output, there are physically 3 outputs but you can only use 2 of them at the same time.

a 2 output video card will be ok for you as long as the two headrest monitors can display the same thing. in this case you would hook your front monitor to one output, and hook the two headrest monitors to the other output (via a splitter).

if you need all three monitors to be able to display separately, then you will either have to buy a triple or quad output video card (they are expensive) or if your system supports it, add a second [PCI] video card to give you another one or two outputs. another option would be to hook the rear monitors up to a DVD head unit (not attached to the PC), as long as the headrest monitors have multiple inputs, you can switch them back and forth between the PC and the HU.

hope this helps, good luck
    F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
    Fusion Carputer [2.0]
    Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Thanks.

I will have to find a graphics card with s-video and dvi outputs. As long as the front and back have the different items playing that should be fine.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mistys77 View Post
        Thanks.

I will have to find a graphics card with s-video and dvi outputs. As long as the front and back have the different items playing that should be fine.

thanks
        PC is probably the way to go, but FYI, some laptops support dual heads. I don't know how common it is these days, but my Inspiron 8600 has duel heads.
        GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

you could just use the onboard video, along with a video card with 2 outputs....
          so then you could display 3 different desktops.
          Macbook Pro- OSX/Vista Ultimate - 2.16 cd 1.5gb ram 100gb hd
          Macbook- OSX/Vista Ultimate/Ubuntu - 2.4 c2d 2gb ram 160gb hd

8gb iphone
          8gb ipod touch

Comment

So, ones one got himself hands on a system (pc) with 2 video (vga) ports.
            How do I regulate that my navigation is on the primary screen and DVD playback happens on the external headrest monitor?

I would like to have RR on my system I choose navigation I see everthing on my primary screen. I choose DVD playback. I still see DVD on my primary screen not on the headrest monitor.
            How do I configure this??

Comment

software would regulate this. by default windows opens the screen to which ever you set as the primary or the last one you left the screen on. example: if you open up media player and move it to the rear screens, and close media player. WHen you reopen it they should open up in the rear screens. different front end software will allow you change this.
              My purpose in life... to do everything the wifey says too... or atleast thats what she tells me :P

Comment

Originally posted by keatonreckard View Post
                you could just use the onboard video, along with a video card with 2 outputs....
                so then you could display 3 different desktops.
                in any motherboard I've owned, when you install a video card the onboard video is automatically disabled (with no option to renable it unless the video card is removed).

I have been building my own computers for years, and I have never seen a motherboard/BIOS which allows simaltaneous use of both onboard video AND a separate video card. (I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I'm just saying I've never seen or heard of one )
                F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Totally true. Sometimes you even have to disable the Onboard video in the Bios in order for a different video card to even work.

Comment

Working...
                  X