Holden VY Calais

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holden VY Calais

I'm about to purchase a Holden Vy Calais (Aussie Car) and I'm thinking of diving head first into a car pc. I've currently got an older Holden with an Alpine HU connected to my iPod and then a PDA for Sat Nav but if I could combine them that would be so much better.

I'm wondering what you guys think I should be with regards to mounting a screen on the dash. I'd want to use the PC for Mp3s and Sat Nav primarily.

The two options I've considered is replacing the HU with a single DIN pocket and putting a motorised 7" screen in there or putting a 7-10" mounted screen on top part of the dash above the AC vents. The bottom of the screen would be just above the AC outlet.

Here is a pic of the dash...

Thanks

hi djhampson,

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a double-DIN space and can't decide where to mount everything. I would like to find another dash panel to hack up (while leaving my original dash panel intact). that way I may be able to fit both a double-DIN LCD flush mounted with a single-DIN HU underneath it (if space permits). that could be another option for you to consider. like you, I don't want the PC to completely replace the HU, I just want it to be an addition to it.

I'm probably going to end up going with a single-DIN HU in the lower slot and a motorized LCD in the upper slot (like your first idea), unless somebody convinces me otherwise.

Your second option would be ok if you don't have a theft problem where you live/work and don't mind the loss of visiblility; then mounting a screen above your vents will be the cheapest and simplest option for you. also, I don't know about the laws where you live, but in the US you would get pulled over in a hearbeat with a huge 10" screen blocking your windshield view like that.

good luck, BTW nice car
    F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
    Fusion Carputer [2.0]
    Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Hey, someone has pranked ya, they moved your steering wheel to the other side of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by malkamus View Post
        Hey, someone has pranked ya, they moved your steering wheel to the other side of the car.
        I got tripped out yesterday when I saw some photos of a Pontiac GTO (which is the 2 door version of my car) with the wheel on the wrong side.

Thanks for the ideas and comments all.

Comment

Well it looks like a screen could go where your factory stereo is, a radio would be the tougher part other than if you go with a single din radio and a single din flip out monitor. Then you could mount the stereo in the bottom part and the monitor on top of it.

Comment

Working...
          X