Noob with some ideas & questions - help appreciated

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob with some ideas & questions - help appreciated

1st off this site is awesome, so glad I came across this before I decided what media options to pursue for my ride. I have been lurking for several weeks and decided to jump in and ask some questions - I have tried searching - I apologize if these topics have been beaten to death

Let me start off by listing what I want to be able to run:

mp3
    dvd
    bluetooth (I have no idea what I will need for this)
    nav
    internet
    OBDII

Ok, so here's my deal.

I'm pretty sure I am going the laptop route, I'm also pretty sure I have a good idea on what most of the needed hardware is.

Here's my list of what I've identified I need:

Laptop/desktop

Power supply

Start up shut down controller

VGA screen

Adapter for head unit

Contraption to retain steering wheel controls

GPS unit

Sound card (another thing I know nothing about)

Software:

1) Front end
    2) I know more software must be needed

I was thinking I could do some sort of mounted usb port, is there such a thing that will basically act as an extension cord from the usb port in the laptop?

I'd also like to admit that I am not the most well informed when it comes to IT acronyms and verbage so if offering advise, please do so in laymen terms.

Thanks to all who take the time to read this and help!!

Originally posted by MotorCityHonda View Post
    1st off this site is awesome, so glad I came across this before I decided what media options to pursue for my ride. I have been lurking for several weeks and decided to jump in and ask some questions - I have tried searching - I apologize if these topics have been beaten to death

Let me start off by listing what I want to be able to run:

mp3
    dvd
    bluetooth (I have no idea what I will need for this)
    nav
    internet
    OBDII

Ok, so here's my deal.

I'm pretty sure I am going the laptop route, I'm also pretty sure I have a good idea on what most of the needed hardware is.

Here's my list of what I've identified I need:

Laptop/desktop

Power supply
    Do your research here, not all work with all pcs, motherboards. There is always the choice of an inverter as well.

Start up shut down controller
    Plenty of options here too, it will depend on your choice of PSU and computer.

VGA screen
    Way too many choices depends on what you have available for space and your requirements

Adapter for head unit
    Not sure what adapter you mean here.

Contraption to retain steering wheel controls
    They do not make them for all of the cars, do some checking there are quite a few available.

GPS unit

Sound card (another thing I know nothing about)

Software:

1) Front end
    2) I know more software must be needed
    Operating system, gps software, obd software, are a few other pieces of software you will need.

I was thinking I could do some sort of mounted usb port, is there such a thing that will basically act as an extension cord from the usb port in the laptop?
    You can run a usb hub and mount it somewhere. Get a self powered one so that tou will have enough power to run anything you may want to hook up to it.

I'd also like to admit that I am not the most well informed when it comes to IT acronyms and verbage so if offering advise, please do so in laymen terms.
    There is a thread here that lists all of the acronyms and abbreviations to get you caught up on them.

Thanks to all who take the time to read this and help!!
    Welcome and have fun, do your research and read the FAQs they are your friends.

Comment

Thanks malkamus!!

I realized I didn't really clarify the intent of listing what I thought was needed, I just was wondering if I missed anything that would be needed to perform the functions I listed.

Does it look like I got it all?

I'm in a 7th gen accord - The contraption is to keep my oe head unit - this entire mod is going to be oe looking with a din bezel fabricated for the lower cubby, I need touch screen - leaning to the lillyP.

GPS software, won't whatever gps unit I buy have this?

As for the device to retain steering wheel controls I'm lucky they make em' for my ride.

I plan on taking out the plate that the shifter is on and going to dremmel out a hole and mount the "usb hub" you mentioned under it and then slap a grommet around the edge of the hole.

thanks for the pointers!

Are sound cards needed for laptops and for home built machines?

Comment

Working...
      X