No announcement yet.

Carputer project just a few questions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carputer project just a few questions

First of all this is my first post so please bear with me if im posting in the wrong place or ask something that's already answered...its a big forum and hard to find things sometime =)

OK so basically come next month I will be overhauling my computer, from the athlon 64 to a new core2 duo. Just about everything is going to be changed so i figure might as well put it all to good use. I wanna stick it into my car to use to drive my audio system. I just have a few questions about that

1) How do i hook it up to an amp? I think i will need a special sound card with multiple prefer not to wire it into the auxilary port of an existing reciever since that's what im trying to get rid of but i guess if all else fails i could do it.
    2) Screen. Touch screen or with buttons it doesnt matter but i would really like an in-dash screen. Where to i buy one that works well for this? or does anybody have a specific model that you've had success with.
    3) I guess this is most important lol but oh well. POWER I dont think an inverter will do you guys supply power to you're computers? If i had a mac mini or a laptop i dont think it'd be a problem.

Ive looked at some previous projects...however mostly its just kinda showing off what's been done...not many model numbers or specifics were given...or maybe im just not looking far enough =P

All 3 of your questions are very basic. This tells me that you haven't done any searching. I've provided you with links that will get you started, but I recomend you start here first:

2) You need to search. Look at the screens that are here on the store. You need to determine what you want: to mold a screen in for a factory look or to have a fold out screen.

Your idea to use an Athlon 64 isn't such a good one. It generates too much heat and needs too much power.

Again, you need to do some searching to figure out more detail as to why this is the case and why I'm saying this.

We're here to help you in your project, but we do not spoon feed. There's a very legitimate reason for this:
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!