a few unanswered questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few unanswered questions

hello im a newb to car pc's, a friend turned me on to the idea and now ive been researching. i have a 95 ford branco with a high end battery, and believe i will use a power inverter to power my system. i haven't bought anything yet, but i have been looking to a shuttle system, with an indash touch screen. i kind of have an idea of how to run the cables and audio speakers, but the power is the most confusing part. I know i run the inverter to the battery and then the inverter to the pc. my question is how do i hook up the power to the pc to make it turn on and off with the car without it just cutting off power, i know about start up and shut down controllers, but i don't really understand how to hook it up to the computer. can someone please clear this up with me with links or a simple explanation (im not an electrical engineer)

thanks is advance

Newbie FAQ: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78795

FAQ to the FAQs: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-...-faq-faqs.html

FAQ Emporium: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=106

Those three links should give you most, if not all the answers to your questions.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by solidius View Post
      hello im a newb to car pc's, a friend turned me on to the idea and now ive been researching. i have a 95 ford branco with a high end battery, and believe i will use a power inverter to power my system. i haven't bought anything yet, but i have been looking to a shuttle system, with an indash touch screen. i kind of have an idea of how to run the cables and audio speakers, but the power is the most confusing part. I know i run the inverter to the battery and then the inverter to the pc. my question is how do i hook up the power to the pc to make it turn on and off with the car without it just cutting off power, i know about start up and shut down controllers, but i don't really understand how to hook it up to the computer. can someone please clear this up with me with links or a simple explanation (im not an electrical engineer)

thanks is advance
      inverters are messy. For the price of a quality inverter, you can get a dc-dc that has a SDC built in.

A SDC simply takes constant 12, switched 12, and ground. It has a timer, and when the switched 12 comes on, it sends the 12 constant through. 12 constant is where the power is being drawn from. then after 12 switched goes away, a timer activates, and after some time, it shuts off the 12 constant.

So that then goes to your inverter if you must.

Or you can buy a M2 on eBay for $50 to $80 and it will be efficient, have a sdc, amp turn on lead for no thump, and 2 levels of controllable off (soft and hard times).
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
      X