A few questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions

I read the Newbie thread, great thread btw, answered many of my questions, however people seem to be really getting into power specs etc. My question is, is i've used a power inverter into the cig lighter with a laptop in the car a bunch of times, so could I use something similar to the mobo/psu/memory etc that my laptop uses, build like a computer with a mini tower, put that in the trunk, run wiring to the front, and just tack on a keyboard and a 7 inch lcd that is mounted on one of those stick on mounts that you can place on your dash? Or is it a bit more complicated with that?

My basics needs, are a relatively inexpensive setup preferably, which I can have GPS, Music, and be able to play movies. A simple XP home machine could do this for me.

You could - but experience shows that most people who take this path regret it and later on do it properly.
    I.e., using a dc-dc converter and power straight from the battery.
    You may ignore this, but i would advise just doing it properly straight away.

Comment

Originally posted by Imdbombboarder View Post
      My question is, is i've used a power inverter into the cig lighter with a laptop in the car a bunch of times, so could I use something similar to the mobo/psu/memory etc that my laptop uses, build like a computer with a mini tower, put that in the trunk, run wiring to the front, and just tack on a keyboard and a 7 inch lcd that is mounted on one of those stick on mounts that you can place on your dash? Or is it a bit more complicated with that?
      That's some horrible grammar and punctuation, particular for a question...

But yes, you can do that.

The reason that people are caught up in power specs is that you only have so much power to work with when powering a PC from your car.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I too wouldn't recomend using an inverter.

How do you plan on shutting the inverter and computer off when you leave the car? Most DC-DC PSUs do this off of ignition and have a timer built in.

How are you going to prevent turn-on thump to your amplifiers, etc?

Just easier to go with a product that was designed to do what you're trying to do rather than try and adapt something and make it do what it really wasn't built to do.
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

If you're looking for a cheapy, temporary and sloppy setup, sure.

If you plan to leave it in as a permanent install and care about an integrated appearance, go dc-dc. You'll probably be happier.

An inverter setup can be made to work fine if installed right. But it will be expensive and end up costing just as much as a dc-dc solution to do it right.

I'm running an inverter, but I have a "true sine wave" inverter (not the cheaply available modified sine wave) due to the need to run my mothers medical equipment when she is in the car with me.

And yes, it was EXPENSIVE.

More expensive than a dc-dc solution.

Shut down control?

You'll need a ssc such as the dssc, carpcpro, or a home built unit. Or you can hack the units and have a raft of switches in your dash.............

I'm trying to use a DSSC, but chris and I can't get it to work right (I think the unit is defective, chris B isn't sure) and I'm working on a home built SSC pased on LUWE's design (you can search for the thread).

Cheers

BJ
          For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
          Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Well DarquePervert, I think that if we're here complaining about my grammer, we should also mention something about the appropriateness of your name.

As for the rest of you, I may be looking at this too simplistically, but I can turn it on via the inverter itself. Atleast, the one I have now has an on and off switch, and I turn that off when I don't want to use the thing, then turn it on, then the computer when I want to. It isn't the nicest setup, but it will definatly do what I need it to do right?

Whenever I turn on my inverter, I never here anything out of the amp, maybe im lucky?

Comment

Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Well DarquePervert, I think that if we're here complaining about my grammer, we should also mention something about the appropriateness of your name.
                Considering you don't knw the history of my name, I suggest you not say anything about it.

Proper grammar, or even an attempt at using proper grammer, makes you more easily understood. The better you are understood, the more people will take the time to assist you, for the simple fact that they can understand you.
                Personally, I make an attempt to interpret peoples' posts. OThers aren't so kind. It's all up to you as to how many helpful responses you want to receive in a thread. Continue with the horrible run-on sentences, and you'l likely have to deal with me and my inappropriate monilker.

As for the rest of you, I may be looking at this too simplistically, but I can turn it on via the inverter itself. Atleast, the one I have now has an on and off switch, and I turn that off when I don't want to use the thing, then turn it on, then the computer when I want to. It isn't the nicest setup, but it will definatly do what I need it to do right?
                Yes it will do what you want.
                However, I think that you'll get absolutely sick and tired of doing that every time you want to fire up the PC. Most of the DC-DC power supplies have an integrated startup/shutdown controller (SSDC or SDC) that will turn the PC on/off with the ignition or triggered from an alarm. YOu can purchase a SSDC that will work with your inverter setup, as well. Granted, the inverter would have to stay on for it to work properly... Or you'd have to trigger the inverter on/off with a relay.

Whenever I turn on my inverter, I never here anything out of the amp, maybe im lucky?
                Probably a combination of luck, a quality inverter with good shielding, and proper wiring methodology.
                How about the Wiki?

Comment

Well you have a point maybe I shouldn't venture too deeply into those woods.

Whats the difference between SSDC and SDC?

Comment

Just to add a few cents here...

I used an inverter for almost 3 years before switching to a DC-DC psu. You can build a shutdown controller pretty easily for an inverter if you wanted to go that route. You can always get a DC-DC psu later if you find your inverter setup sucks. I'd probably still be running an inverter if I didn't find the hell of a deal I got on my DC-DC psu.
                    Tidder

Try RevFE
                    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Darque,

I apologize for my comments earlier, I was a bit tipsy when I wrote the first post, though no excuse for the others. I do appreciate your help even with that.

I guess for me, it will get annoying to turn it on and off, but to still have a computer in my car period would be awesome, meaning my standards are pretty low. Much much will a SSDC or SDC set me back? And how is that wired into the battery, orr?

Comment

Check the store here on the site to find out how much.

Search the forum to find out how to wire it up, or better yet, check the owners manuals for the ones you'll find on the store.
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

Well you have a point maybe I shouldn't venture too deeply into those woods.
                          I think it was in Pulp Fiction where Samuel Jackson posed, "If you don't like scary answers, you shouyld cease asking scay questions."
                          Or something like that. :P
                          Whats the difference between SSDC and SDC?
                          Nothing. The same device is abbreviated both ways by different people.

Darque,

I apologize for my comments earlier, I was a bit tipsy when I wrote the first post, though no excuse for the others. I do appreciate your help even with that.
                          It's cool. I've taken worse abuse from better people.

I guess for me, it will get annoying to turn it on and off, but to still have a computer in my car period would be awesome, meaning my standards are pretty low. Much much will a SSDC or SDC set me back? And how is that wired into the battery, orr?
                          Well, you have two options now.

Either a SSDC to use with your inverter, such as one of these: http://store.mp3car.com/Automotive_S...ollers_s/9.htm

Another alternative is a replacement power supply. That will hav the add benefit of reducing the risk of electrical noise in the audio portion system and reducing some heat. That's a whle other ballgame, though. There are FAQs written about all of that.
                          How about the Wiki?

Comment

Working...
                          X