No announcement yet.

Couple of newbie questions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of newbie questions

I'm in the process of installing my car computer and I have two rather noobish questions.

1) I ran a wire directly from my battery into a fused distribution block. The distribution block uses a screw to clamp down the wires which, in my opinion is essentially just a crimped connection. There have been a few posts stating that crimped connections aren't the best quality and are better to avoid. Is there an alternate way of connecting to a distribution block or did I just buy the wrong kind of distribution block?

2) I'm assuming it's ok since a car's electrical system is a voltage circuit and will only draw as much current as the circuit needs but just to verify, it's ok to wire a 12V automotive 30amp relay directly to the battery, right? I know I don't need it but I just feel a lot safer with having a hard cut off between the battery and my Opus.
    Hofstader's Law: It always takes longer than expected, even when accounting for Hofstadter's Law.
    Cost [xxxxxxxxxx]xxxxxxx 169.126%
    Planning [xxxxxxxxxx]xxxxxxxxxxxxx 233.773%
    Implementation [xxxxxxxx..] 83.047%

using that connection on the distro block is actually fine. It's more secure than a crimp connection that others are talking about.

to the forums btw!
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!