Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear up a couple of questions

Hi,
    This is my first post here, but I have been looking around this site and reading things on it for a while now. I am planning on putting a computer in my car towards the end of this summer. I have a 96 toyota camry. I want to put the computer in the glove box and to make the dash go from this:

to this:

I decided to go with a head unit because funds are tight and that just seemed like a cheaper way to go than the whole amp thing, this xmas break (ima college kid) I am planning on putting an amp, sub, and replacing the speakers in it. So I have a few questions that I need clearing up.
    1. If I were to use the Opus 120W ps, what exactly happens when you turn the car off? Does the whole pc shut down and then I would need to wait for it to boot up again when I turn the car on? or can I make it do some sort of hibernate thing?
    2. Cutting up your car. How easy is it to cut, lets say a hole in your glove box to run wire out the back of and to put a fan in? How would you cut it? It's that hard plastic stuff.
    3. I go to college in Upstate New York, and live in Maine, so it gets cold around here, Lets say that it is one of those really cold days that the hd wont spin, do I need to cut the power to it so that it doesn't burn out the motor? should I install a kill switch somewhere along the way?
    4. My new dash idea would require making a new dash unit. How would I attach the new dash? or rather how are dashboards help in place? (I don't actually have the car yet, I pick it up this weekend so I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet, and this is my first car).
    5. Again with this dash plan I would need to relocate the air controls how hard is this to do? how are they attached to the car? And is it possible to replace to stock nobs and buttons with smaller ones?
    6. Finally, if I were to redo the dash what would be the best way to do it? fiberglass? wood? something else?

Thanks so much for your help in advance, and you all have already helped answer so many questions for me. I love building computers, I love cars. So this project is getting me really excited. What do you think of the overall dash design? Thanks again

Jacob

Originally posted by dmx21 View Post
    Hi,
    This is my first post here, but I have been looking around this site and reading things on it for a while now. I am planning on putting a computer in my car towards the end of this summer. I have a 96 toyota camry. I want to put the computer in the glove box and to make the dash go from this:

to this:

I decided to go with a head unit because funds are tight and that just seemed like a cheaper way to go than the whole amp thing, this xmas break (ima college kid) I am planning on putting an amp, sub, and replacing the speakers in it. So I have a few questions that I need clearing up.
    1. If I were to use the Opus 120W ps, what exactly happens when you turn the car off? Does the whole pc shut down and then I would need to wait for it to boot up again when I turn the car on? or can I make it do some sort of hibernate thing?
    2. Cutting up your car. How easy is it to cut, lets say a hole in your glove box to run wire out the back of and to put a fan in? How would you cut it? It's that hard plastic stuff.
    3. I go to college in Upstate New York, and live in Maine, so it gets cold around here, Lets say that it is one of those really cold days that the hd wont spin, do I need to cut the power to it so that it doesn't burn out the motor? should I install a kill switch somewhere along the way?
    4. My new dash idea would require making a new dash unit. How would I attach the new dash? or rather how are dashboards help in place? (I don't actually have the car yet, I pick it up this weekend so I haven't had a chance to take it apart yet, and this is my first car).
    5. Again with this dash plan I would need to relocate the air controls how hard is this to do? how are they attached to the car? And is it possible to replace to stock nobs and buttons with smaller ones?
    6. Finally, if I were to redo the dash what would be the best way to do it? fiberglass? wood? something else?

Thanks so much for your help in advance, and you all have already helped answer so many questions for me. I love building computers, I love cars. So this project is getting me really excited. What do you think of the overall dash design? Thanks again

Jacob
    Just a heads up, your gonna be told to search on most of your questions.

But, do you really need to move the air control. I think if you were to go head unit less you could fit a screen under the controls. Also, amps arent that expensive at all. If you were to get one rated the same power as a head unit, your lookint at something around 200 watts, which can be gotten very cheaply.

Good luck

Comment

have you thought about using that space taken up by your ash tray and crumb storage area?

You could fab in something, and maybe stick your HU down there...or if it isn't deep enough, put the screen there...

Also is the original stereo a standard DIN width unit? the screen seems small in the dash so either you have a tiny screen or a gigantic dash...your dash makes my truck dash look like something out of a mini.
      current projects

Comment

yea I am starting to lean towards putting the HU in the ash tray area, It just seems to be easier to do it that way. And yea I agree that the monitor looks small there, it was just a real quick photoshop job that I didn't put much time into measurements for. Just to get an idea of how it would look. But I get the car tomorrow so then I can start actually measuring things out and seeing what really can or cannot happen. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X