'87 Ford Crown Victoria?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '87 Ford Crown Victoria?

I Am thinking of buying an '86 Ford Crown Victoria, and was wondering if anyone can tell me if I'll have any issues building a carputer regaurding electrical.. Fabrication seems like it would be fantastic in this car, but I'm wondering if the lictrical is sub par? It's old, yeah, but it has power windows, seats, locks, everything like that..

Thanks for moving topic, my appologies on mis-location in the first place.

Comment

I'm no expert on the subject, but outside a strong alternator and fresh battery I don't think there is much to worry about. Most of the wires you will be running will be your own.

Comment

01 vic here. no problems running dual batteries on stock 130amp alternator. doing it for almost 2 years. stock alt still going.
        The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
        CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
        PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
        Memory:1G
        Drives:160gig
        WI-FI:Cingular
        GPS:IG2k9
        Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
        The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

John1701: Could you mspaint me a diagram of that? are they series or parallel? I know electronics, but I'm completely new to automotive. I'll have to go see how it all works out.. Hopefully the rating is on my alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by XHorntail View Post
            I Am thinking of buying an '86 Ford Crown Victoria, and was wondering if anyone can tell me if I'll have any issues building a carputer regaurding electrical.. Fabrication seems like it would be fantastic in this car, but I'm wondering if the lictrical is sub par? It's old, yeah, but it has power windows, seats, locks, everything like that..
            I had an '86 Crown Victoria (that was my favorite car of all time, even to this day anyways, back your [future] installation...

from what I can remember there was a ton of space behind the dash in that car. years ago when I had mine, I had installed a uniden Grant XL CB radio in the dash (that thing was huge, believe me). you will have plenty of room to work with in that car.

as far as the electrical is concerned, it's not much different from any car made today. the same rule-of-thumb applies to both old and new cars:
            • only use the factory power wiring for signal lines (to switch relays).
            • run your own power cable(s) directly to the battery. the wire should be thick enough to handle more power than you need from it, and make sure you fuse it at the battery.
            • if you will be using an amplifier to drive your speakers, then you should run new wires to your speakers as well)
            the bottom line is, it doesn't really matter what conditon the factory wiring is in because you should be running your own wires to power everything anyways

as for your alternator and battery, the car is 21 years old, so who knows how old the alternator and battery is. it's anybody's guess how long each one will last (unless they were replaced recently). if they're old and you put a load on them (carputer, amplifier, etc.) then you may have to replace one of both of them in the near future, but the good news is that they are cheap to buy and easy to replace

oh, and BTW, unless you plan on using the carputer for long periods of time when the engine is off then there is no need for a second battery.

good luck with your future install
            F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
            Fusion Carputer [2.0]
            Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

i have the batteries in parallel. positive to positive connection. Using two optima red tops. Just ran 8 gauge wire with a 80 amp fuse on both ends from the front battery to the trunk. The rating (amperage) of your alt, you can find out at any auto parts store.

Like ComputerGeek said, there is ALOT of space in the dash. since the CV's really have not changed over the years. On mine I can stick 4 epias with PS and HD just in the dash without any cutting or modding. Under the steering wheel there is a cover. remove that and you can put 3 pc's there. remove the radio and one can fit there. behind the hvac controls, you could squeeze two more there. Also if you remove the glovebox, one epia can fit behind it. but there it would really be a tight fit.

oh by the way there is the grand canyon of a trunk, could put one there.....
              The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

also under the ashtray you can stick a full mobo.
                The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

I have same car damn near, I have an '81. If you need any help with this car at all, not regarding carputer specific questions, I can help you. I have had my '81 apart so many times. These cars were very much the same from 1979-1991.

Comment

I'm glad there's so many people on these forums to help me out, and in such a positive way. There certainly IS a ton of space to put things! Since the "laminated wood" panneling simply screws on, I think I'll replace it with a kydex mold ad see how that looks. Kydex will hold up a lot better, and it'll be easy to fab i think.. Any other material suggestions? Oh, and my alternator is really low.. like 106 amp.. Should I get a new one? how much do they run? and do i need a certain form factor?

Comment

Originally posted by SaiyanEye View Post
                      I have same car damn near, I have an '81. If you need any help with this car at all, not regarding carputer specific questions, I can help you. I have had my '81 apart so many times. These cars were very much the same from 1979-1991.
                      like mine 1997-2006, especially most of the interior parts.

looks like you have a 4.6L, just hit a parts shop (pepboys, autozone, etc). for mine its $179.00 130amp.
                      The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

I've got a 5.0L actually. Is this good? http://phoenix.craigslist.org/pts/370490590.html and do they wear out quick or anything? well.. obviously not if my 86 is still working, but is ther a chance that this one is sub-par preformance?

Comment

Yeah all 1979-1991 will have 302 or 351, the police package cars had the 351. Ford 3G Small Case alt will bolt right in with out any modifications, try hitting your junkyard up, you can probably get one for about $30-$50.

Hey man, any pics of the car?

For Ford 3G swap, I would get 4 gauge or larger, [1/0 works great ], Do you have anything to crimp large ring terminals with?

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/2368/cv0011hh.jpg There is mine

Comment

mine is a 2001, got in 2003, 4.6L all stock original parts, just change oil and filters, zero problems. last year drove across the US did over 10k miles, zero problems.
                            The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Originally posted by SaiyanEye View Post
                              For Ford 3G swap, I would get 4 gauge or larger, [1/0 works great ], Do you have anything to crimp large ring terminals with?
                              Heh, that was sorta over my head. sorry. That's a very clean looking vic you've got there though! Beautiful!

Regaurding power, there is a problem I need fixed ASAP. I'm a huge music fan, but when I plug my Ipod charger/transmitter into the cigarette lighter, it doesn't get enough power to broadcast clearly.. Do I need a new battery? Or do i need to re-install the lighter? Also, I bought an after-market tachometer, and like I said, I'm new to automotive, so could you take a pic of where the tan wire with a yellow stripe, apparently part of the ignition coil, is located? Thanks, and sorry for soundng like a noob. Also, how did you get through your firewall? Everything seems to be in tightly wrapped coils, and I would prefer to not have to re-wrap them and everything.

Comment

Working...
                              X