To Solder or not to Solder?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Solder or not to Solder?

I just baught the MacPac Cable now when using the loose colored wires do you have to strip the wire ends and solder them together or can I just twist them together and wrap electric tape around it???
    Newbie to wire connections please bare with me, couldnt find anything in the search...

Twist and tape is good for testing ONLY.
    You want a more secure electrical connection. Either solder the wires or use good butt connectors (aka crimp connectors).
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      Twist and tape is good for testing ONLY.
      You want a more secure electrical connection. Either solder the wires or use good butt connectors (aka crimp connectors).
      I found a couple at radio shack...will these do: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family
      RadioShack.com - Cables, Parts & Connectors: Connectors & connectivity: Crimp connectors & terminals: Crimp-On Snap Connectors (10-Pack)

Comment

can you lead me to decent connectors

Comment

Solder. ALWAYS solder unless it needs to be removed easily.

Solder is the best conductor. Crimps come undone too easily when crimped incorrectly.

Soldering is VERY easy and can be taught in less than 5 minutes...at least that's how long it took me to learn it...and if I can learn it in 5 minutes...

There is a technique that should be used when crimping, but I don't even want to go into that as you should solder.
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Perhaps this FAQ will help some:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq-...n-methods.html

I HIGHLY suggest reading through it.
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

where can I buy heatshrink wrap and rosincore solder?

nevermind ace hardware has it, thanks for the help people.

Comment

Working...
              X