Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from Toronto - Canada

Hello everyone,

My Name is Parsa and I'm a newbie in carputer field. I have been reading this site for the past 6 months and I learned a lot of useful stuff from all of the good members.

I have a lot experience with computer installation and configuration as well as programming in C and Java. But I'm a newbie in VB and VB .NET .

I'm planning to start my first curputer project this winter on my 2003 Dodge Caravan!!! I couldn't find anyone here who has done any project with this car so I guess I'm the first one planning to install a 8.4" touchscreen into it's front panel!!!

hehe, I'm not sure how I am going to do it but I assure you that I'll be asking a lot of questions. Right now I'm in researching phase and I have a lot of homework to do (one is finishing the Car PC Hacks book, I've finished the first 30 hacks so far!!!)

Best wishes to all of you guys,

Regards,
    Parsa (a.k.a PdLoadeR)

P.S. Anyone here from Toronto or within Ontario??? (Canada)
    {Quotes}----------------------------{Quotes}

In theory, theory and practice are the same, but in practice, they never are.

A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality.

Welcome and good luck with your project! An 8.4 in a caravan sounds [email protected]! lol
    02 Accord Coupe EX V6

Comment

Thanks doublet... I have a Xenarc 8.4 touchscreen here and I'm planning to use it in the car.

for the computer I have 2 options:

1. Pentium III 997 MHz with 256MB ram and slim DVD-Rom ==> this one is a DELL GX 240 that I found about a year ago and it's working perfectly fine.

2. Pentium IV 2.4 GHz with 1GIG ram and DVD-RW ==> This one is my current computer which will be replaced with a Intell Dual 2 Due E6750 with 8Gig ram by the end of next week.

Currently I'm researching on the power options. I'm not sure which one is going to be more efficient as I'm not planning to do anything huge in the car. the CarPC will do just the normal CD/MP3/DVD playing and Navigation plus surfing the net and other stuff. I don't think I will need the Pentium IV.

Now a quick question.... is my first option sufficient enough to run RR and Iguidance v4.0 and other normal apps that I should install ???

A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality.

Comment

Hey pdloader, I'm from Toronto Canada.

Funny, I am also new to MP3car.com, CarPC's and have a Caravan (06) that I want to add a CarPC to. Don't want to make it look Stock, I want to add a Center Console that runs up to the center dash and have the Screen on an angle. I hope to find a Trim piece from a Junk Yard and have it lead upto the dash (I know this probaby doesn't explain how it looks in my mind, but I'm tired)

Basically want to have it all installed into the center console, move the A/C controls to the Radio Din and cover up the lower (what would now be empty) A/C Din, "Shelf" and Cup Holders. This way when I trade in the Caravan, I just take out the Center Console and don't need to worry about any damage to the Trim and Area.

Not sure when I would start this, but would like to find time to try...
        Hey, you have a kid so you got to work with what you have. **I miss my Civic, but love my kid.**

Comment

Hey Bozzak, welcome !!!!
          I thought of the same thing but i couldn't get any Trim piece for a good price. Do you know of any Junk Yard around Toronto that has some good stuff. I tried some around Keele and Finch area with no result.

For the case, I've built a case and put it in the front between the driver and passenger seats. But for the Monitor and Audio connection I was thinking of a custom made connection or something like that so that I can take out the computer whenever I'm not gunna use the car in the winter.

BTW, have u got any parts yet? It's so hard to find here in Canada

Comment

Was hoping to try the yard down on Eastern Ave near the Beaches.

I don't have any parts (unless you count the Idea of taking apart my old Desktop and trying to use something from that). I basically just heard of the CarPC 4 days ago, so I have alot of reading to do I think. This started 3 weeks ago before that when I wanted to add a center console inbetween the seats with I armrest level platform to put a Portable DVD on for my son and wife to watch in the back seat. Looking for Ideas, I stubled upon this site and from there my head went craazy with ideas.
            Hey, you have a kid so you got to work with what you have. **I miss my Civic, but love my kid.**

Comment

I have all the parts (mobo, screen, GPS antena, HDD, etc) but no time though!!!!

Comment

Yes, time is an issue for me also... Want to make it to a Junk Yard, but have no time due to work and time I get off and my weekends are book until Dec 15th or so... I sit at night thinking of Ideas for the console, but have not had a chance to do anything about it.

can I ask where you got your screen and GPS from?

HDD, is that the radio and what GPS Program are you going to use?

Comment

i got my gps and screen on eBay. I got Xenarc 8.4" Touchscreen for 250 CDN it was brand new but open box and I haven't had any problems with it so far, and GPS for about $70 CDN.

HDD is the Hard Drive and the GPS program I want to use is iGuidance 3.0. I've installed them all on my test machine but haven't had the chance to take anything into the car yet. I'll probably do it in February or so.

Comment

The wait is going to kill you.

How are you going to do the Radio? USB Radio?

Comment

Hee Hee Hi guys, I am just north of you in Newmarket.
                      2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                      2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                      Sound Stage
                      Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

Hey -zip-... How are you doing???

Comment

Hey Parsa it's Touqe weather today

2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
                          2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
                          Sound Stage
                          Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

I know... it's too windy and -7C...

BTW where did you get all your parts from??? do you know any scrap yard around Toronto that I can get some Caravan dashboard parts from??

Thanks

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X