Ok My First Carputer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok My First Carputer

OK first off Hi and great site. I am a newbie here but not to computers. I have been looking around this site and remember seeing somewhere, but just for the life of me can't find it again were someone or someones had converted a GPS unit of some kind to connect to through the serial port. I am looking for this info any manufactures or model that this could be done with as I want to use the Rooftop GPS/Cellular/PCS/WiFi antenna listed here so I will not have stuff all over my dash. Any help would be great. I also am trying to find a OEM type roof mount for a Sirius unit I'm planing to use. As looking at the for mentioned antenna I don't think it will work for satellite radio but if I am wrong please let me know.

Thank,
    Mike
    2004 Sport Trac PC Project.

First of all that antenna is not a receiver. It is just an antenna.
    You'll still need a receiver to use in conjunction with that antenna. There are a number of OEM GPS modules that have been used successfully. Searcht he forums for OEM GPS and you should get some results.

And no, the antenna in question will not receive satellite radio.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      First of all that antenna is not a receiver. It is just an antenna.
      You'll still need a receiver to use in conjunction with that antenna. There are a number of OEM GPS modules that have been used successfully. Searcht he forums for OEM GPS and you should get some results.

And no, the antenna in question will not receive satellite radio.
      Thanks. Yes I know it is not a receiver. That is what I need is the receiver. I should have been more clear about that. I will try looking for OEM. Do you know of a good OEM type satellite radio antenna that is roof mount for a Ford or Mercury.

Thanks,
      Mike
      2004 Sport Trac PC Project.

Comment

Working...
      X