Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think a carp pc is for me, so I need ideas for an alternative

Hi all,
    I've been reading threads around the forum about what goes into integrating a car pc into your automobile and to me, it sounds like too many potential problems to deal with

With that being said, I am looking for a mutlimedia head unit with a 6"-8" touch screen that can play DVD, MP3, CD, back up cam support, xm ready, GPS, but I also am looking for one that can plug into OBD II and do diagnostics, are there any head units like this? I'm looking for a 2 din to replace my 1997 Olds Aurora factory head unit.

Any ideas?

Have not heard of any that do OBDII, but one at Circuit City that does have all what you want and a HD, was $2,000+ without installation.

Comment

you can find high end ones at ccity that do obd-II but it'll cost you your whole soul to purchase it. Plus your stuck with the crappy interface of the unit.
      Former author of LinuxICE, nghost, nobdy.
      Current author of Automotive Message Broker (AMB).
      Works on Tizen IVI. Does not represent anyone or anything but himself.

Comment

AVIC from Pioneer, but you won't get the expansion you would from a CarPC...

anything worth doing is worth doing right...just remember that.
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

What are the potential problems to deal with a CARPC?

Comment

Originally posted by Prevch View Post
            Hi all,
            I've been reading threads around the forum about what goes into integrating a car pc into your automobile and to me, it sounds like too many potential problems to deal with

With that being said, I am looking for a mutlimedia head unit with a 6"-8" touch screen that can play DVD, MP3, CD, back up cam support, xm ready, GPS, but I also am looking for one that can plug into OBD II and do diagnostics, are there any head units like this? I'm looking for a 2 din to replace my 1997 Olds Aurora factory head unit.

Any ideas?
            Buy the Pioneer AVIC. For OBDII use a laptop and an OBDII cable since you only want it for diagnostics. No need for it in the head unit.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

what about a pre-built carpc? no stuffing around, just plug into car & add a fold-out 1din 7" touchscreen.
              - My ride - MySpace -

Comment

Originally posted by S2K12 View Post
                what about a pre-built carpc? no stuffing around, just plug into car & add a fold-out 1din 7" touchscreen.

Yah I was looking into that actually, that might be a better route.

any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by salvi View Post
                  What are the potential problems to deal with a CARPC?

You put a bunch of time into it...and it gets stolen.
                  current projects

Comment

Yah I was looking into that actually, that might be a better route.

any suggestions?
                    http://store.mp3car.com/Car_Computer_Systems_s/25.htm
                    Jan Bennett
                    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgeCummins View Post
                      You put a bunch of time into it...and it gets stolen.
                      not if they cant FIND it! lol
                      Planning: [|||||||||-] 90%
                      Purchased: [|||||||||/] 99%
                      Installation: [|||||||||-] 90% (when is anyone's project ever REALLY done...)

Comment

Originally posted by sxtnitehawk View Post
                        not if they cant FIND it! lol
                        I think he was refering to the vehicle disappearing, seeing as that is what has happened to him recently. Although looking at his profile it looks like it has turned up.

Now was the PC still in it?

Comment

Hi all,

Any ideas?

You can look at JVC's KW-AVX800, Kenwood's DDX6019-DDX8019, DNX7100,or Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse the list goes one. I've looked and done alot of research on al of these except the Eclipse. All of them have there pros and cons like everything else. Finally after doing all the research I've done, I've come to conclusion that a carpc can do all the things you've listed and more. In some cases you can come out spending less for a carpc than you would for the Pioneer Avic or Alpine IVA-W205 or the Eclipse's model with built-in Navi.
                          As far as potential problems with a carpc I can't give any insight on that yet, but you can have problems with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer View Post
                            I think he was refering to the vehicle disappearing, seeing as that is what has happened to him recently. Although looking at his profile it looks like it has turned up.

Now was the PC still in it?
                            *homer* D'OH! */homer*

yeah thats a bad situation...
                            Planning: [|||||||||-] 90%
                            Purchased: [|||||||||/] 99%
                            Installation: [|||||||||-] 90% (when is anyone's project ever REALLY done...)

Comment

Working...
                            X