Need help gathering requirements for my carpc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help gathering requirements for my carpc

Recently purchased a Mini ITX VIA EPIA MII 10000 Mini-ITX.

Looking to put together a car pc. I know very little about cars however I do have lots of experience with computers as I am an electrical engineer currently working as a software engineer.

So here is what I want to do.

Phase 1
    -------------------
    1) Purchase a 2.5" IDE hardrive 40-100gb in size
    2) Purchase a case which can be used to host my mobo & hardrive. Test at home using a standard ac adapter. Was looking at the Voom2 PC chassis. This phase will test the performance of the mobo using the operating system along with additional programs. I likely will be using ubuntu, with the lightweight GUI (can't remember its name).
    3) A 7" touch screen will be used for testing

Phase 2
    --------------------
    1) Install the carputer in my 2003 Honda Civic LX.

Requirements:
    --------------------
    1) Need the mobo to auto turn on/off with car engine
    2) Need the ability to hook up the mobo to my car's stereo system

FAQ (here is where i need your help)
    --------------------
    1) Will the M2-ATX satisfy my requirements
    2) If my car has a 12V power socket is there anything that I can purchase such that I do not have to wire the device to my car. If yes will it support automatic on/off features.

I know this is a little vague, I will add more as I find out. Any help to documents is appreciated.

Yes the M2-ATX will satisfy your requirements, however it will need to be wired into your car's electrical system inorder for the auto-start/shutdown function to work. In addition to the 12v rails, the auto function needs to be connected to the ignition (the same wire that turns on your stock headunit).

Comment

how does one go about hooking up the 1/8" output from the mobo into the stereo system in the car?

Comment

That would depend upon how permanent you want your install to be. From the question in your previous post, I get the impression that you arent interested in a deeply involved install. In that case something like a casette adaptor or fm transmitter may be more suited to your situation. Otherwise there are a variety of solutions for a more complicated install. These range from simply splicing into your existing stereo wires to aftermarket adaptors that allow aux inputs for stock systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Disefyl View Post
          That would depend upon how permanent you want your install to be. From the question in your previous post, I get the impression that you arent interested in a deeply involved install. In that case something like a casette adaptor or fm transmitter may be more suited to your situation. Otherwise there are a variety of solutions for a more complicated install. These range from simply splicing into your existing stereo wires to aftermarket adaptors that allow aux inputs for stock systems.

ah yes. i fergot about the fm transmitter. my gf has one for her ipod. that is ideal for my setup. thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X