Newbie, Confused?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie, Confused?

I'm a newbie here, what's up? I can't make up my mind on whether to get a Streetdeck G4, or an aftermarket in dash navigation. I really don't see the justification of paying 2,000 or so for it since I'm only gonna use it for navigation and listening to music. I really don't see myself using all that web browsing, notes, etc. The only thing that I really like is the map interface. Would I be able to install this in an aftermarket in dash?

You mean put PC software on a regular CE based HU? No.

And there are other options than the G4. For instance, my entire setup including screen, wires, parts, was $600. Much less than a HU.

If you will barely use navigation, then just get a regular non-nav HU, and get a Garmin or TomTom or something. This friday most stores have $80 or $100 standalone nav units.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

So the StreetDeck North America software would not work with aftermarket in dash receivers if I put the CD in?

Comment

no.

Streetdeck is PC software.
        A HU runs (usually) WIndows CE software which is locked down in firmware. You cannot run standard PC software on something that is not a standard PC... Not really that hard.
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
          no.

Streetdeck is PC software.
          A HU runs (usually) WIndows CE software which is locked down in firmware. You cannot run standard PC software on something that is not a standard PC... Not really that hard.
          meh.. thats not entirely correct, you can always run emulators my idol =p
          2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

DG4L

Comment

Originally posted by Redian View Post
            meh.. thats not entirely correct, you can always run emulators my idol =p
            There are no emulators for CE based devices to run regular PC software as far as I know.

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
              There are no emulators for CE based devices to run regular PC software as far as I know.
              oh.. he wants it on a ce device... meh no way.. nvm just for the stupid comment
              2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

DG4L

Comment

2k1 toaster u have a thread on here based on your set up? the reason I'm asking is because I've read through the the forums and I've read the horrors of the g4 or any other carputer freezing up or not booting up, etc. etc. that and and I'm not known as a diy-er, lol. also since it is basically a in car pc, I don't want to run the risk of uploading a virus and/or adware and have it mess with my cars pc. thanks you guys for the info you're a big help.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Bape View Post
                  2k1 toaster u have a thread on here based on your set up? the reason I'm asking is because I've read through the the forums and I've read the horrors of the g4 or any other carputer freezing up or not booting up, etc. etc. that and and I'm not known as a diy-er, lol. also since it is basically a in car pc, I don't want to run the risk of uploading a virus and/or adware and have it mess with my cars pc. thanks you guys for the info you're a big help.
                  I thought you said "i really dont see myself web browsing"? Anyways, the G4 is just as much of a PC as mine is, just there's is packed in a small case with more little extras that cause headaches for some right now.

If you arent connected to the web then let that virus steal your... mp3 files? And send them... nowhere since there is no internet. See what I mean? You wont be online banking from the car, and since it is a closed system, the possibility of virus/trojan is very very low and can only happen if you plug in a friend's thumbdrive or something. And even if it has a virus, it cant do anything.

This is mine: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...56k-users.html

Comment

yes that's what I meant. not web browsing, but if I were to upload mp3s and videos onto the G4 I'm scared to upload a virus onto it. but since you say the chances of that are very low then I feel safe

Comment

Working...
                    X