New to CarPC's and have some general questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to CarPC's and have some general questions

OK im new here and i have been looking around the site for a while trying to get some ideas/answers. I have a few questions and would appreciate any help that can be given.

Regarding streedeck
    I have downloaded the trail software and I like the program but i have some questions 1)does running the gps on streetdeck require some type of usb antenna to link to gps satellites? 2)Same question for the radio, can the streedeck get local radio channels and does it require some type of antenna connection?

About setup
    What is the best way to connect the PC? is it better to run it through an in dash reciever or go through a diiferent LCD screen? What type of connection is used to connect video? I know most in dash units don't have a vga connection. Is it possible to bypass the in dash reciever and hook into the car stereo speakers and still get good sound quality?

Also what is the best way to power the unit? Are there power supplies that will shutdown the computer and turn it on automatically when the ignition is stared? Does it take a long time for the computer to start up? Is it hard on the computer turning on?off all the time.

Last one. Does the computer hold up well to changing weather conditions i.e. below freezing temps in the winter and very hot in the summer?

Thanks everyone for your help!
    [||||||----] - 60% Complete

Originally posted by bigbuffs View Post
    Regarding streedeck
    I have downloaded the trail software and I like the program but i have some questions 1)does running the gps on streetdeck require some type of usb antenna to link to gps satellites?
    It requires a GPS receiver. ANY GPS-enabled application requires a GPS receiver.

2)Same question for the radio, can the streedeck get local radio channels and does it require some type of antenna connection?
    Depends on the radio you're talking about. I'm assuming you mean the radio functionality of the G4. If that's what you mean, then yes, it picks up local radio stations and yes, it connects to your car antenna.

About setup
    What is the best way to connect the PC? is it better to run it through an in dash reciever or go through a diiferent LCD screen? What type of connection is used to connect video? I know most in dash units don't have a vga connection. Is it possible to bypass the in dash reciever and hook into the car stereo speakers and still get good sound quality?

Also what is the best way to power the unit? Are there power supplies that will shutdown the computer and turn it on automatically when the ignition is stared? Does it take a long time for the computer to start up? Is it hard on the computer turning on?off all the time.

Last one. Does the computer hold up well to changing weather conditions i.e. below freezing temps in the winter and very hot in the summer?
    Time to start researching.
    Here's a great place to start: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advfaq.php

All these questions have been answered so often, that a FAQ was created just so that newbies, such as yourself, could have a convenient repository of information for research purposes.

Welcome to the madness!
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

awesome the FAQ is just what i was looking for thanks, guess I should have looked a little harder
      [||||||----] - 60% Complete

Comment

Working...
      X