Newb- Need advice on setup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newb- Need advice on setup

Ok, so I have a complete newb question here.

I have a 1995 Mazda RX-7 and I am looking to create a setup for my car. My main uses for this will be GPS, Music & Diagnostic Information. I am in the stage of checking to see where things fit in the car for a screen.

I have come to the conclusion that an in-dash system using the DIN area would not work as it is way to low for the driver to view without creating a road hazard (see first picture). This leaves me with three options.

Option #1: Redo the center console to move the HVAC controls down and move the DIN openings higher to incorporate the screen. I would be using a slim DVD drive that is slot loaded for media/programs. This would require a lot of fab work for the console and probably a lot of trial and error on a semi-expensive piece.
    This would be my idea here

Option #2: From the factory, 3rd Gen RX-7s come with a center speaker. This is cut out when you use an aftermarket stereo. Right now it is dead space and would give me a lot of room for wiring and such for a screen to be hidden. The only problem with this would be that a 7” screen may be too large for this area as it will be too much of an obstruction. I could probably get away with a 5.6” VGA touchscreen overlay and hack another monitor. This would leave the DIN area for the slim DVD drive and USB ports and such.
    Here is my rough drawing

Option #3: This would be the most basic and ugly option. It would simply involve mounting the screen on the passenger side of the console using the provided mount. This would save a lot of fab work but would not look stock (which is what I am going for).

Why don't you go with a flip out screen? The screen would open right over yoru AC controls and be at a higher position then option 1. PM me if you need a screen as such

Comment

Originally posted by salvi View Post
      Why don't you go with a flip out screen? The screen would open right over yoru AC controls and be at a higher position then option 1. PM me if you need a screen as such
      The reason I am leaning against that or option 1 would be how low it would be in my line of sight. I have a swapped LS1 in my 7 so since it is a hot rod swap, the more systems I can view at a glance the better.

Comment

Then your only option is two or three. Decide on one.

Comment

If you can achieve option two, I'd say that's your best bet.

Comment

I guess I will go with option two and do a flip screen. I am going to see if I can find someone in the area that currently has one but it isnt installed so I can see what it looks like flipped out.

The other part to tackle will now be to figure out what software to use to display sensor reading taken from the OBDII port. However, the software has to be expandable to take in readings from aftermarket sensors as well so I can moniter fuel pressure and oil temps.

Comment

Working...
            X