Liquid Cooling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Cooling?

Hello Everyone I am new to the CarPc (and car modding scene) and I have a few questions.

I am going to try and put a CarPC in my 1992 Honda Civic DX Hatchback and I want it to run everything from GPS to kick *** audio and video.

I know LOTS about computers but know absolutely nothing about cars (but I have friends helping me who know tons about cars). Id like to run everything in a windows enviroment in case I want to try and run games which brings me to my main question.

If i decide to run a powerful computer to cool it I would prefer to use liquid cooling and store the system and radiator/resevoir in the trunk. I was just wondering if this is plausible with the car in motion? The onyl problem I forsee is the resevoir, and maybe getting a more powerful pump to counteract any force generated by the car.

Thoughts? Questions to spur my own imagination? Thanks can't wait to take my favorite hobby (computers) into what will hopefully become a whole new obsession for me (cars and carpc)
    I've not even been on MP3car.com for more than a week and I already love everything that is provided to me here on the Store and Forums! Thank You All!!

CarPC Project #1
    Planning: 50%
    Parts: 80%
    Installation: 0%

possible-yes
    alot of work-yes
    done before-yes

do some searching, it will be your best bet to whether or not you want to tackle the liquid cooling project.

Hopefully you understand how much power a "powerful" computer requires.

Were you looking at using an inverter? or a DC-DC psu?

Comment

Peltier devices don't have to worry about "freezing pipes." Just a thought.

Comment

i would say eliminate the resivoir and just use a tline to fill up.
        screen name here use to be MegaloRESE15"

Comment

I don't think water cooling is a good idea for the car. The risks are too great. You have one fitting come loose and spew coolant ll over your electronics and you're out a PC at the very least.
          You could also cause a short which could damage crucial electrical systems in your ride or cause a fire, which could destroy your car, yourself or your passengers.

As far as a "kick *** PC", you're going to run into problems. It' sbest to find a balance between PC performance and power draw. There are some potent CPUs out there that are very efficient and draw paltry amounts of power. That's going to be your bet route, IMHO.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            I don't think water cooling is a good idea for the car. The risks are too great. You have one fitting come loose and spew coolant ll over your electronics and you're out a PC at the very least.
            You could also cause a short which could damage crucial electrical systems in your ride or cause a fire, which could destroy your car, yourself or your passengers.

As far as a "kick *** PC", you're going to run into problems. It' sbest to find a balance between PC performance and power draw. There are some potent CPUs out there that are very efficient and draw paltry amounts of power. That's going to be your bet route, IMHO.
            the coolant is not conductive, if you spill it nothing should short, however if you spill it then not much cooling is going on :P

Comment

Originally posted by Megalomaniac View Post
              the coolant is not conductive, if you spill it nothing should short, however if you spill it then not much cooling is going on :P
              Not all coolant is non-conductive.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

You can run a dual core with just air cooling fine. But if you MUST have water cooling, you can probably ditch the resevoir and make sure that you get very high quality connectors, pumps, tubing, etc. Make sure the hoses are CLAMPED!
                2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

Planning:
                [----------] 100%
                Purchasing:
                [----------] 90%
                Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
                [----------] 90%

Comment

What coolant is non-conductive?

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd2 View Post
                    What coolant is non-conductive?
                    http://www.xoxide.com/water-cooling-coolant-dye.html

Comment

There are a few coolants that are nonconductive. A search on google will provide all the info you need. I know that dangerden.com sells some (MCT something) and another is Fluid XP. Though I have read posts of devices shorting out with non conductive coolants (supposedly due to the differences between air and the substances as a dielectric).

Comment

A non-conductive fluid is called a dielectric, examples of these are R134a - the refrigerant used in your car or 3M sells a line, one of the fluids is called FC72 I think. There are NO water based fluids that are dielectrics, there is NO additive you can put into water to make it non conductive.

Some of the issues with using a water based system are freezing & organic growth, thats why they make antifreeze. You could build a system using this but it makes the water less thermally conductive. It just depends on your total heat loads you are trying to disapate & your expected ambient temperatures. You need to size the radiator to match these, bigger and you get closer to ambient with smaller fans, smaller & you need more air flow. You also have to be careful about dewpoint. If it's really cold in the trunk and you pipe this very cold fluid into a warm & more humid environment you get condensation - put some ice in a glass of water, that's what happens.

Aside from the CPU/GPU you may need to cool your inverter as well, at least have it in a spot with good airflow.

There are a couple of startups developing R134a based computer cooling systems you can learn more from their sites, try tfandf.com

Comment

If computers are your "main hobby", then I'd assume you're familiar with a lot of games that require at least an 8600GTS and dual-core Intel to run.

You will have a VERY hard time powering these things in a car, as they consume a lot of power.

Settle for a Pentium 4 system, with a Radeon 9800XT and that should be fine, provided your battery and inverter are of decent power.

Comment

Working...
                          X