My First CarPuting Project!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My First CarPuting Project!

I really have no clue where to begin so the first thing I want to figure out is what kind of computer I should run first. Ill be using either a 1992 or 1997 Civic Hatchback

Things I want to run:
    -GPS
    -DVD/Video Playback
    -Audio Playpack
    -Bluetooth Phone Integration w/ Handsfree Mic

I do not know whether to run windows or linux. I am highly familiar with a windows enviroment while linux I still know lots about but no where near as much as windows.

Should I try to install the speakers myself? And if so which are the best ones? How do I connect the amp and sub?Should I try wiring it all myself? Can I buy and assemble/install all software and hardware, and then take it to a shop to install?

I don't mind doing the work myself, I just don't know where to begin when choosing my hardware. What runs fastest? What boots fastest? Glitches the least? If someone could send me in the right direction (I've read FAQs and searched around and I will continue to do so). Also if anyone has a civic hatchback with a carputer in it (ive been searching the Show Off Your Project forum) and have any suggestions or advice and warnings please feel free to tell me. Thanks Everyone!
    I've not even been on MP3car.com for more than a week and I already love everything that is provided to me here on the Store and Forums! Thank You All!!

CarPC Project #1
    Planning: 50%
    Parts: 80%
    Installation: 0%

Originally posted by ZombieRobot View Post
    I really have no clue where to begin
    Begin with the FAQ: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advfaq.php

I do not know whether to run windows or linux.
    There are a lot more options in Windows. If you only know a little bit about Linux, then go w/ Windoze.

Should I try to install the speakers myself?
    Sure, if you feel comfortable removing door panels and such to replace car speakers.

And if so which are the best ones?
    There's no right answer to this question.

How do I connect the amp and sub?
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...iew&advfaqid=7

Should I try wiring it all myself?
    Sure, if you feel comfortable doing so.
    I wired all my equipment up with no problems and it was my first time.

Can I buy and assemble/install all software and hardware, and then take it to a shop to install?
    Possibly. It depends on the shop. Most car electronics shops won't touch a vehicle PC because they have no experience with them.

I don't mind doing the work myself, I just don't know where to begin when choosing my hardware. What runs fastest? What boots fastest? Glitches the least? If someone could send me in the right direction (I've read FAQs and searched around and I will continue to do so). Also if anyone has a civic hatchback with a carputer in it (ive been searching the Show Off Your Project forum) and have any suggestions or advice and warnings please feel free to tell me. Thanks Everyone!
    If you don't know squat about choosing the right computer hardware for your project, then buy a "bundle" from a vehicle PC vendlr, such as the mp3car.com store.

It sounds to me like you've got a lot to learn.
    I suggest breaking all your questions down to key words and making extensive use of the search function here. There is much to be learned.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

If I have tinted windows should I still invest in a transflective screen?
      I've not even been on MP3car.com for more than a week and I already love everything that is provided to me here on the Store and Forums! Thank You All!!

CarPC Project #1

Comment

So far this is what I have got together as my starting point.

GPS Receiver : Rooftop GPS/Cellular/PCS/WiFi antenna $64.99
        Screen: Xenarc 7" IN-DASH Touchscreen MDT-X7000 $779.00
        Barebone : Barebone EN15000G + M1-ATX + Ampie $382.98
        Memory: G.SKILL Extreme Series 1GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 $27.99
        IDE USB: Bytecc BT-200 USB 2.0 to IDE Adapter, Works with 2.5", 3.5" HDD $19.99
        HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive $59.99
        Mic: Microphone with Tie Clip $19.99

Total: $1354.93

I want to run Windows with Roadrunner. I think I might install a small HDD for the OS right next to the PC and then Ill have an external HDD plugged into the screen that I can take with me and plug into my computer if I want to transfer files to the drive.

CarPC Project #1

Comment

That's not a GPS receiver. It's only an antenna.

The components you selected are pushing it for an M1ATX. I'd bump up to an M2ATX at the very least. I suggest reading FAQs about choosing a DC-DC PSU.

Why the USB adapter for the HDD?
          How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
            That's not a GPS receiver. It's only an antenna.

The components you selected are pushing it for an M1ATX. I'd bump up to an M2ATX at the very least. I suggest reading FAQs about choosing a DC-DC PSU.

Why the USB adapter for the HDD?
            I was thinking of putting the HDD in the front of the car while the PC is in the trunk.

Should I get this BU-353 Weather-proof GPS Receiver for the receiver. Would it benefit me to have that antenna too? I noticed it has wifi/celluar...

CarPC Project #1

Comment

Originally posted by ZombieRobot View Post
              I was thinking of putting the HDD in the front of the car while the PC is in the trunk.
              Again... Why?
              Unless you have a specific purpose, I believe you'd be better served by keeping it as simple as possible.
              That would mean an IDE or STA HDD connection.

Should I get this BU-353 Weather-proof GPS Receiver for the receiver. Would it benefit me to have that antenna too? I noticed it has wifi/celluar...
              The BU353 is a great receiver. You don't need an external antenna with it.
              That's good, because it has no accomodation for an external antenna anyway.
              How about the Wiki?

Comment

Is it smart to put a small 20GB IDE drive in the PC for the OS and Apps, then run a USB connection to the front for an external drive that would contain my media files specifically music?

Heres the revised list of items I am looking at.

GPS Receiver: BU-353 Weather-proof GPS Receiver $69.99
                Screen: Xenarc 7" IN-DASH Touchscreen VGA Monitor / DVD Receiver MDT-X7000 $779.00
                Motherboard : VIA EPIA-EN15000G 1.5GHz $233.95
                PSU Amp: M2-ATX 160W Intelligent DC-DC PSU $89.95
                Memory: G.SKILL Extreme Series 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4200) Desktop Memory Model F2-4200PHU1-1GBLA - Retail $27.99
                HDD: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L250R0 250GB 7200 RPM IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM $59.99
                Mic: Microphone with Tie Clip $19.99
                Case: VoomPC-2 CarPC Enclosure $98.99

CarPC Project #1

Comment

The Xenarc screen and unit run off my car battery directly right? That way when I calcuate how much my PSU needs to be I don't need to take that into consideration? and if so will the M2ATX 160W PSU be enough to power those components?

Will it be future proof enough? or should i buy an Opus 250watt psu?

CarPC Project #1

Comment

Yes, run the monitor off the car batt. M2-ATX should be fine.
                    AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
                    "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

This is what I have decided to get since the 7" Xenarc screen has DVI I decided to go with an Aopen miniPC since it has a DVI port for output already.

Is this all the hardware (cables/tools/software excluded) I need to run a carputer?

AOpen miniPC Duo MP945-VDR Barebone System

$2,043.80

Xenarc 7" IN-DASH Touchscreen VGA Monitor / DVD Receiver MDT-X7000
                      Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile 1.83GHz
                      Carnetix CNX-P1900 Ver. 2.2 Dual Output 140 Watt 12V DC-DC Regulator
                      USBBT100 Linksys USB Bluetooth Adapter
                      1GB DDR2 SODIMM PC2-5300 RAM
                      SpecResearch RF Wireless Mini Keyboard with Optical Trackball USB
                      Andrea Electronics Superbeam Array Microphone Bundle
                      ElmScan 5 USB OBD-II Scan Tool
                      Aopen Wifi Mini-PCI Nic Card for Pandora MiniPC
                      Major Brand 120GB 2.5" SATA Hard Drive

CarPC Project #1

Comment

After a little more research I am leaning more towards this configuration.

Motherboard: JetWay J9F2-KHDE-PB 479 Intel 945GM HDMI Mini ITX Intel Motherboard $194.99
                        Memory: Patriot 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5300) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory $54.99
                        CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 Merom 2.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache Socket M Processor $296.00
                        Screen: Xenarc 7" IN-DASH Touchscreen VGA Monitor / DVD Receiver MDT-X7000 $779.00
                        PSU: Carnetix CNX-P2140 185W Dual Output Intelligent DC-DC Regulator $135.00
                        Bluetooth: AZiO BTD603-132 USB 2.0 Bluetooth Adapter $16.99
                        Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card $62.99
                        HDD: TOSHIBA MK2546GSX 250GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Notebook Hard Drive $149.99
                        Mic: Andrea Electronics Superbeam Array Microphone Bundle $59.95
                        GPS: BU-353 Weather-proof GPS Receiver $69.99
                        Input: BTC 9116URF BLACK Black 87 Normal Keys 9 Function Keys USB RF Wireless Mini Wireless Internet Keyboard With Dual Mode Joystick Mouse Mouse Included $24.99
                        Wifi: EnGenius EUB-362 Wireless Wifi USB Adapter $46.00

Total: $1890.88

I get more speed/features for a cheaper price. I am also thinking of making a custom Plexiglases case and installing my CarPC in the Glove Box. Would I be able to fit everything in a standard glove box? Keep in my that I won't be using a normal Car PC case, but my own, so as long as the components fit I guess I could make it work. really all the case would hold would be the psu, mobo, and hdd, so i don't imagine the case being too big. The MAYBE i will make another case to hold any USB adapter and accessories. (AKA Hub for USB/RF Keyboard, etc.)

I really hope to make this case with an easy way to take the cover off but also be locked (any ideas?) I know I could just lock the glove box, but Id also like a lock on the case just in case.

Hopefully I will be mounting the wifi/gps/mic elsewhere in more convenient spots for their performance.

I'll still be using DVI as my main connection since that motherboard ill be getting has a DVI connection built in (a big plus for me I'm really trying to push for that DVI connection).

CarPC Project #1

Comment

You will not want your hdd to be USB; when you turn off the car and it goes into hibernation, the drive will be dismounted. When you come out of hibernation it will not remount immediately, and you will end up with skipping audio until it either remounts, or you force the thing to try and load the next track.

I had a 500g buffalo external drive in my glovebox and had this issue a lot. I ended up taking the dvd drive out of the voompc2 case I had (damn thing barely fit anyway) and stringing a sata and power cable out the front hole and hooking up the drive that way. Now I get no skipping or issues at all.

I wish I knew anything about metalworking; I'd just make my own case. :v

Comment

I really dont know, but does the gps receiver you picked come with a map program? If not, you'll have to get one of those too.

Also what front end are you going to use?
                            My Worklog
                            I'm using my carputer 100%, but I still need to make it easier to use.

Comment

Thanks, ya if i can custom build the case into the glove box i dont mind not using usb hdd because the HDD will be right next to me anyways.

Are those parts good?

CarPC Project #1

Comment

Working...
                              X