Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NewB.. making a list, checking it twice..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NewB.. making a list, checking it twice..

trying to find out, if i'm doing this right.

all words in red are questions. if you can help me out, thanks a lot!!

anyways, i'm new to the whole car-pc thing. i found this site and read as much as i could.

this is what i am going to get for my first basic set-up.. and add on/upgrade later on
    - Lilliput 7" EBY701 TouchScreen VGA LCD Monitor

BASICS PLUS BEGINNER! Car Computer Package DEAL!

^ does it come w/ a cd-rom drive? or do i have to purchase seperately?

Windows XP or Vista.

Front End:.. haven't checked into them yet, but a free one if anything.

PS3 ThumbPad/Keyboard

4-Port USB Hub

8ga amp kit what size fuse??
    w/ distribution blocks and all that good stuff.

My Stereo System as of NOW!
    JVC KD-AR7000 HU, has aux-in/cd changer thing in the back. and 4 sets of 5v pre-amp.
    Clarion 6.5" Speakers in the 4 doors
    Power Acoustik A2400DB amp, 1800w rms @ 1ohm
    (2) Alpine Type-R Subwoofers 500w rms/1500w max.. feeding each 900w rms DAILY
    Custom subwoofer box, 5cu ft ported, tuned to 32hz
    1/0ga knukonceptz amp kit
    optima yellow top battery
    200a alternator

I want to keep my JVC HU in and hook the carputer up to it. i have seen the faq about how to do it, but i'm still confused. could some one tell me exactly what i have to do for it to work. i have the cd changer thing in the back of my HU. i know i need the aux input line in adapter for that which i then put rca's too that go to ???? i don't want bad sound quality w/ it, but i'm willing to take a little bit of a lose, seeing as my HU plays everything but DVD's any how.. but still, computer w/ no sound = LAME

If there is anything you guys would suggest me to get/use/w.e. then let me know, THANKS.

btw, i have a 1998 Chevy Blazer, 4dr, 2wd.. two tone paint, lowered 3/4, etc etc........

Originally posted by Blazen98 View Post
    ^ does it come w/ a cd-rom drive? or do i have to purchase seperately?
    It doesn't list a CDROM in the package details, so I'd say no.

8ga amp kit what size fuse??
    20A would probably work. If you keep blowing 20A then 30A.
    I'm pretty certain a 20A would work...

Now.. Learn WHY a 20A is what you want.
    If you don't know why you're using a fuse of that size, you're not going to understand how to troubleshoot if that fuse starts blowing regularly.

I want to keep my JVC HU in and hook the carputer up to it. i have seen the faq about how to do it, but i'm still confused. could some one tell me exactly what i have to do for it to work. i have the cd changer thing in the back of my HU. i know i need the aux input line in adapter for that which i then put rca's too that go to ???? i don't want bad sound quality w/ it, but i'm willing to take a little bit of a lose, seeing as my HU plays everything but DVD's any how.. but still, computer w/ no sound = LAME
    What's so confusing bout it?
    PC > AUX INPUT on headunit.
    If you don't have an AUX input, then you lose the CD changer, get an adapter that allows AUX input through the CD changer and run with it.

If there is anything you guys would suggest me to get/use/w.e. then let me know, THANKS.
    I think you need to do some more research, but you're well on your way.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
      It doesn't list a CDROM in the package details, so I'd say no.

20A would probably work. If you keep blowing 20A then 30A.
      I'm pretty certain a 20A would work...

Now.. Learn WHY a 20A is what you want.
      If you don't know why you're using a fuse of that size, you're not going to understand how to troubleshoot if that fuse starts blowing regularly.

What's so confusing bout it?
      PC > AUX INPUT on headunit.
      If you don't have an AUX input, then you lose the CD changer, get an adapter that allows AUX input through the CD changer and run with it.

I think you need to do some more research, but you're well on your way.
      \

yes i do need to learn a lot more!! there is just much on here. lol. and i don't like reading ALOT. i guess when i get bored i'll be on the site again reading some more.

as far as the pc to aux input. where do i plug the 3.5mm into at on the pc? do i need to buy a diff sound card. i know if i get a good one it will sound better, but will i be fine at first. until i learn more and UPGRADE.

Comment

Plug the 3.5mm jack in the sound output port. Usually marked by a green ring around the port. A pci soundcard would sound better than onboard video. Creative is a popular company for cards. Their Audigy card would probably be sufficient.
        1st CarPC
        Plans --> >>>>>>>>><
        Parts --> >>>>>>>><<
        Install -> <<<<<<<<<<

Comment

sweet, thanks haha. sound is the only thing holding me back from ordering it all right now. i want to be able to have it thru my hu and i want it to sound as if i'm just playing a cd on my hu. i'm probably going to hold off a couple months and learn more about carputer's before i go ahead and do it tho. besides, it's winter.. no time to be out fussing w/ that kind of stuff. bad enough i'm getting 5 things for x-mas, that i know off, that are all for my blazer and i wont put them on cause it's too cold lol. if i ordered up the pc it would be the same. and prolly a ***** for me to do, as a beginner.. like when i installed my 2way alarm system.. haha

i will keep in touch tho.

thanks for the help,

Comment

if you buy an amp kit it will come with a fuse. you dont fuse the object you fuse the size of the wire. 8awg wire i believe uses a 40 amp fuse. what the wire is running should have its own protection. are you running the amp kit to run an inverter to power the pc or are you running it for something else? according to crutchfield that unit already has an aux input. just find out what size it is and all you will need it a male to male 3.5mm plug wire long enough to reach from the pc to the deck.

Comment

Working...
            X