No announcement yet.

Noob project starting

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob project starting

Hi all,

I am a total noob to the forum and to car pcs. I'm just about to embark on the car pc journey, and am very excited. It is going to be a slow "when time permits" project so we'll see how it goes.

I have a few questions to pick your brains. I have tried searching and googling but nothing seemed to jump out. May be I was just trying the wrong phrases

NEway, here goes...

1. Is it possible to use an in dash dvd player to act as an external drive for the pc? Anyone done something like this?? what I'm planning is to install the pc in the boot and just using the dvd drive via a long usb cable, is this feasible?

2. Is it best to connect the pc to the amp or to go through the head unit via aux inputs. I wanted to go with the second option as i'd like to control the volume etc through the head unit and it makes things easier as that is already all hooked up to the amp, sub etc. it would also save me the trouble of having 2 x inputs etc for the amp.

3. any one using Centrafuse? I've tried the demo version and am pretty happy with it. But it would be good to get some input from others that are using it day to day. Also, does the gps in there have voice guided functions and voice commands? I can't use the demo version gps function as it have Germany and us maps. I am getting my destinator in the mail today. Is it straight forward to integrate into CF?

I'd really appreciate your input here guys. This is the first time I'm daring something like this. Any tips or advice or constructive criticism also very welcome

1) yes - but it needs to be designed for it.

2) through the headunit is a good way to do things. 2x inputs into the same amp isn;t recomended.

Simpler answers:

1 - No.
      2 - Depends on what result you want.
      3 - There's a whole forum devoted to it.
      4 - Read the FAQs:
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.