Should I get into this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I get into this?

Yo guys, i'm a newcomer here...this seems like a cool hobby and really interests me. unfortunately, i don't even have my license yet (I'm 16, getting it this June). I'm planning on getting a new-ish tacoma for my first car, because that'll be my work truck as well as my personal truck.

Anyway, my question is...do you think it's a good idea for me to go putting a carpc in my truck? I'm a good driver, and still have 6 months of future experience before I get my license.

Also, since i'm only going to be 17 with a summer job, and having to pay for gas and partial insurance, my setup has to be on a budget. fortunately, i work for a place that pretty much specializes in surveillance systems, access systems, etc. so we have plenty of computer parts and whatnot..plus a guy i work with has upwards of 8 laptops and i'm sure he's willing to help me out, because he loves these types of things too.

thanks for reading...and thanks for introducing me to this awesome hobby

do you think it's a good idea for me to go putting a carpc in my truck?
    That all depends on what you want the CarPC to do. If you want to do it simply to have a PC in the car then don't bother.

Comment

no, i want it there as a jukebox, gps navigator, diagnostics computer, and probably a couple other things i haven't thought of yet

Comment

I don't understand how you can be a good driver but not have a license yet.

99% of people, when asked, will say they are good drivers. 75% of them are wrong.
        Originally posted by ghettocruzer
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:
        -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
        -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

ahhhhh - to be young like THAT again...
          Jan Bennett
          FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte View Post
            I don't understand how you can be a good driver but not have a license yet.

99% of people, when asked, will say they are good drivers. 75% of them are wrong.
            i've had my permit since july. I'm a better driver than all my friends, some of which with licenses.

Comment

Free parts..... yeah do eeeeeeeeeeeet! But use it responsibly since you are a new driver.
              2008 350z GT Installed since April 22nd 2011 - Worklog
              2000 Protege Installed Since April 2, 2005 - Intel D201GLY|Fusion Brain|ODBPros ODBII|Engenius|GPS Rikaline|Powermate|Motorized Lilli
              Sound Stage
              Eclipse|MTX|Infinity

Comment

if u do just be sure no to watch ur monitor too much when driving if you think having a computer in ur tacoma would be worth it then id say do it.

Comment

Originally posted by acdcrocks91 View Post
                  i've had my permit since july. I'm a better driver than all my friends, some of which with licenses.
                  Well, my point is that you really have very little experience driving -and that the best evaluator of the quality of driving is rarely the driver.

I say if you can get the parts, go for it. It's a fun an interesting hobby/project. Just don't let it distract you when operating the car. But that's not really a comment aimed at you. EVERYONE should pay heed to that!
                  Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                  I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                  Want to:
                  -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                  -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Well, my point is that you really have very little experience driving -and that the best evaluator of the quality of driving is rarely the driver.

I say if you can get the parts, go for it. It's a fun an interesting hobby/project. Just don't let it distract you when operating the car. But that's not really a comment aimed at you. EVERYONE should pay heed to that!
                    very sage words indeed..................
                    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                    Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

right, i understand your point...and i agree, i'm sure everyone says they're a good driver. i just wanted to make it clear that i'm not just some jerk teen that takes his dad's car out on a joy ride every night and manages not to crash.

thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
                      X