Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• relay for 4 guage wire, where to get?

Hi guys and girls,

I tried to search for the relay topic; however, mostly showed how to wire it up but not the hardware itself. As the title stated, i have a 4 gauge power wire, but most of relay i saw was for small wires. If possible, please give a link, name or picture, so it can make more sense to me.

Thanks a lot.

Just how much current are you planning on passing through this relay?
    It's been a while...

Comment

4 gauge wire relay

A relay for that kind of wire is not available. You need a solinoid. Just make sure you get a continous duty and not a latching solinoid. A latching unit takes a momentary switch while a continous unit remains closed as long as power is supplied to the coil.
      RV parts suppliers and repair facilities usually carry such a device in stock for high power systems such as room slides.
      Merry Christmas,
      DNR

Comment

Originally posted by dnr250 View Post
        A relay for that kind of wire is not available. You need a solinoid. Just make sure you get a continous duty and not a latching solinoid. A latching unit takes a momentary switch while a continous unit remains closed as long as power is supplied to the coil.
        RV parts suppliers and repair facilities usually carry such a device in stock for high power systems such as room slides.
        Merry Christmas,
        DNR
        Stinger makes some, and in that case, you just need some 4 AWG ring terminals.

Solenoid vs. Relay is semantics (as it applies to is common use in this application)

A solenoid is a device that uses current through a coil to create a field to act on an armature which moves something, in these cases it's a switch.

A relay is a device that uses current through a coil to create a field to act on a switch.

I don't disagree with you, there is a difference. But for instance, sitnger calls theirs 'high current relays'.
        It's been a while...

Comment

Wow! That was fast replies there guys. So i need to get either a solenoid or relay then. Is there any cons and pro between them?

I found this stinger relay http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046
          it call stinger SR80 high current 80amp relay, so i think it should be ok for my 80 amp fuse

For the ring terminals. I think this should work http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

Comment

Originally posted by gen6_civic_pc View Post
            Wow! That was fast replies there guys. So i need to get either a solenoid or relay then. Is there any cons and pro between them?

I found this stinger relay http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046
            it call stinger SR80 high current 80amp relay, so i think it should be ok for my 80 amp fuse

For the ring terminals. I think this should work http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046
            They really should have put an amp rating on that for you. You should consider what the max amps your system will draw. It's important to know, so that you don't pick a relay that will fail.

I think that relay is for 80 amps, and your wire can carry ~130 amps safely.
            If you're having trouble knowing how many amps to expect, what are you powering (total) through this thing (how many watts)? For instance this may be more appropriate if you plan on maxing out that 4 AWG.

No pros and cons, what stinger and others are selling as high power relays, are essentially the same as what OEM's and others call switching solenoids. No worries there.
            You're just not likely to find that typical black cube style of relay rated so high.
            It's been a while...

Comment

so it is safer to have the more amps for the solenoid/relay than the current amp of the wire itself?

Follow the powercable from the batter will be a distribution fuses block that has 4 output.

1 will go to opus 250w (21 amps)
              1 will go to amplifer 40amps (@12volts its 480watts)
              the other 2 maybe for smaller stuffs like some neon lights or usb devices.

so i figure probably no more than 70amps.

So u think i should really go for the 150 AMP SOLENOID from ebay? The solenoid looks intimated...sorry i'm not very good with electrical

BTW thanks for helping out guys

Comment

What do you need a relay for 4ga for?
                use a small relay for the computer, if the opus 250w does not have a power switch like the m2.
                connect the on (middle terminal) on the amps to the ign on if thats what is going to turn on your carpc.

I just dont want you to buy stuff you dont need.
                My Worklog
                I'm using my carputer 100%, but I still need to make it easier to use.

Comment

I figured the relay sit between the power wire will cut off the current when the car is off and allow the current to flow through from the battery once the car turn on.

Now i think about it, does the relay give me problem? Because since the car turn off that send a signal to Opus ps to put the pc to hibernate, but if the relay cut the power off once the key off the car, doesn't that will shut the pc down before it can hibernate?

Comment

im an electrical engineer (aerospace) and we never call what he needs a solenoid. they are relays, even in high wattage uses. relays contain solenoids, but just a solenoid is completely different than a relay.

gen, if you use a relay to cut the power to your carpc once you key off your car, the computer will never have a chance to turn off completely. you shouldnt be worried about cutting off power to the computer with the car off, thats what the opus shutdown controller does.

you may want to be able to hard control the poewr to the pc when the car is on, however, if for some reason (ie an emergency) you want the thing off instantly. one way to do this is a relay, like you are thinking. you'd want to wire up the relay control (coil, or solenoid) to an independant switch as well, not your ignition/key
                    just make sure you are ONLY messing with the power to your carpc/audio equipment and not the other systems in your car, that would be a very bad thing to mess up.

for example, this relay might work:
                    [media]http://www.songchuan.com/PPDF/897.pdf[/media] (mouser.com has these)
                    its got a 70amp contact rating at 12VDC which looks like it would be acceptable for your applicatin. you might want to go higher just incase though.

go take a look at mouser.com, under electromechanical, then General Purpose / Industrial Relays. you need something with a ~12V coil rating as well.

dont bother with audio stores, just go straight to the electronics parts stores like jameco or mouser.com, they're better and cheaper and have a larger selection.

Comment

Yup, initially i just want to cut off the power in case of emergency with a switch; however, since i use 4guage wire which is big to wire into a switch, so i ask question around and got suggestion of using a relay, and connect that relay to the switch since i can use the smaller wire going from relay to switch.

But after look for relay they have pretty small feets compare the huge a** 4 gauge wire which lead me to post this thread. As for your recommend, Lithoss. Is that relay big feetenough to use with 4gauge wire.

For higher amps this stinger 200amp may do a the job?
                      http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

Comment

so it is safer to have the more amps for the solenoid/relay than the current amp of the wire itself?

Follow the powercable from the batter will be a distribution fuses block that has 4 output.

1 will go to opus 250w (21 amps)
                        1 will go to amplifer 40amps (@12volts its 480watts)
                        the other 2 maybe for smaller stuffs like some neon lights or usb devices.

so i figure probably no more than 70amps.

So u think i should really go for the 150 AMP SOLENOID from ebay? The solenoid looks intimated...sorry i'm not very good with electrical

BTW thanks for helping out guys
                        You're welcome.

That 'solenoid' only looks intimidating, it has only the same four connections every basic relay has.

Originally posted by Lithoss View Post
                        im an electrical engineer (aerospace) and we never call what he needs a solenoid. [HL]they are relays, even in high wattage uses. relays contain solenoids, but just a solenoid is completely different than a relay.[/HL]
                        for example, this relay might work:
                        [media]http://www.songchuan.com/PPDF/897.pdf[/media] (mouser.com has these)
                        its got a 70amp contact rating at 12VDC which looks like it would be acceptable for your applicatin. you might want to go higher just incase though.

go take a look at mouser.com, under electromechanical, then General Purpose / Industrial Relays. you need something with a ~12V coil rating as well.

dont bother with audio stores, just go straight to the electronics parts stores like jameco or mouser.com, they're better and cheaper and have a larger selection.
                        Couldn't agree more. Well put.
                        See any 4 AWG spade connectors in there?

It is, however, important to know the misused terminology, if you're trying to find that something in a search engine, which is a lesser form of accepting the bad terminology.

The misuse of the word is a carry over from solenoids mounted on starter motors where the solenoid had two functions; engage the gear, and close the contacts supllying current to the motor.

Yup, initially i just want to cut off the power in case of emergency with a switch; however, since i use 4guage wire which is big to wire into a switch, so i ask question around and got suggestion of using a relay, and connect that relay to the switch since i can use the smaller wire going from relay to switch.

But after look for relay they have pretty small feets compare the huge a** 4 gauge wire which lead me to post this thread. As for your recommend, Lithoss. Is that relay big feetenough to use with 4gauge wire.

For higher amps this stinger 200amp may do a the job?
                        [media]http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1333954/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046[/media]
                        It's not important to match the ratings of the solenoid to the rating of the cable. It is important to make sure all of your components are rated to handle more than the maximum amount of current that will go through them. So with your 70A maximum, that first 80 amp stinger will work just fine (for its rated 100,000 cylcles).
                        Keep in mind you might want to upgrade to something that requires more current (amplifier) later, and you might want to match the relay to the cable to realize the maximum potential given by the wire's current rating. In that case, go with the 150A or 200A relay(solenoid)
                        It's been a while...

Comment

Sweet, thanks guys. I think you both are correct about what you said. The 200amps stinger i saw was called a relay even it has four connection that look just like a "solenoid". And it's true that if i google for solenoid, i get different images than when i searched for relay.

So as far as amps rating i definitely go with the 200A relay/solenoid. The only thing left is to make sure it can take a big wire. From the pictures, i believe the device take ring terminals.

Comment

no problemo, that's a big ol' relay i agree with going for the 200 amp.

yeah im sure the wire will fit, you will just need to find the right ring terminals for the 200amp. if you were going to with the one i pointed out, you'd just need to find the right spade terminals like h3rk mentioned.

if i were you, i'd get the recommended terminals for that relay (0AWG) AND some 4AWG terminals just to be sure.
                            make sure you have a good crimper too

Comment

Awesome. Thanks for all the helps. Time for me to get some solenoid..eh relay..ah..whatever it calls as long as it flip on and off...

Comment

Working...
                              X