Remote starting in gear?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote starting in gear?

Is possible to disable remote starting when the car is in gear?

If the car is an automatic, then there should be a neutral lockout that will prevent the car from starting unless it's in PARK or NEUTRAL.
    If the car is a stick, then it probably won't start unless the clutch is pressed.

At least for later model vehicles.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

what good would remote start be if you have to push the clutch in? there are remote starts out there designed with the manual transmission in mind. the may require you to do something before exiting the car so it is armed. in all the years i owned 5 and 6 speed manuals i dont ever remember leaving it parked in gear. that doest mean i didnt, i just dont remember if i did. im sure you can have a switch that requires the parking brake to be engaged or something like that. contact a local audio shop and ask what they carry and what is required for it to work on your car.

Comment

I drive a stick.
        I always leave it in 1st force of habbit, I will have to try starting it in 1st with clutch on I would of thought it would drive off.
        Would be funny chasing my car down the road .

Comment

manuals cant start if the clutch isnt depressed, UNLESS it has an over ride like the toyota trucks have.

Comment

Could it damage the car at all trying to start it with the clutch on and in 1st?

Comment

Originally posted by jackhammer990 View Post
              Could it damage the car at all trying to start it with the clutch on and in 1st?
              Damn skippy.
              You'll wear out your clutch, for one. You can also damage the transmission.
              If there's anything in front of your ride, the vehicle will lurch forward when the engine cranks, causing a collision & resulting front-end damage.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

if the clutch is depressed then no, its just like normal starting. if you mean trying to start without depressing the clutch then the car shouldnt do anything UNLESS it does not have the safety feature.

Comment

1. yes, it will cause damage if it tries to start the car in gear.

2. if your car doesn't let you start it without pressing the clutch, then you'll need to bypass the the clutch switch for your remote starter to work (unless the remote starter has a bypass built in)

4. you should only use a remote starter that is designed for manual transmissions. it will include a sensor (usually infared) to make sure the car is in neutral before starting.
                  F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                  Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                  Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Well, you're meant to leave a manual in 1st gear when you park, so it acts kind of like a second parking brake, like the park in an automatic, and when starting the car, you're supposed to push the clutch in anyway just to be sure the car isn't actually in gear and lurch forwards, then gradually let it out when the engine is running. What is it with Americans and manual transmissions? They aren't that difficult to drive. They even teach all this at our motorcycle license classes.

Why the hell are people so lazy that they need a button to start their car before they get in. Why not get in and start it, then wait for it to warm up and do whatever you have to? Technology is making everyone so lazy...

Comment

Originally posted by Mylt1 View Post
                      manuals cant start if the clutch isnt depressed, UNLESS it has an over ride like the toyota trucks have.
                      It is only made for the US imports and US made exported cars that have this "feature". Most people are bright enough to not start it while in gear.

Just get a magnetic sensor in the middle if you are worried about it.

And as to the why start it, because it is cool.
                      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                        It is only made for the US imports and US made exported cars that have this "feature". Most people are bright enough to not start it while in gear.
                        really? i did not know that. i figured it would be a safety feature for all manuals.
                        as far as why a remote start, i have kids i have to get ready in the am and it would be so much easier to just push a button then to actually run out to start my truck. plus with remote start no one can just hop in and steal your truck. that same cant be said about going out and starting your car with your keys.

Comment

I think even BMW's and Subarus from early 90's were some of the last that were made for import to the US with a clutch safety switch. I had a 1989 BMW 325i that needed no clutch press and was a US import because the speedo was in mph and not kph.

Anyways, remote start is definately handy. And I dont like those made for manual ones because of the rigamaroo you have to do for it to remote start next time. Simple rule is just flip the manual override switch when you drop it off at the mechanics, oil place, tire place, car wash, wherever someone who isnt you has even the slightest possibility of driving your car and leaving it in gear. That way even if you forget when you pick it up, it will just flash its lights with a failure code, instead of mowing down children in the crosswalk...
                          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
                          X