Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

internal or external optical drive for dash?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• internal or external optical drive for dash?

Hey guys,

I want to put a dvd drive in my dash where the oem stereo was.

Should I use an internal or external drive? It seems like an external may not fit, but I don't know if an internal needs to be housed in a specific structure instead of just supported by a stereo sleeve?

Are they the same size as 1din stereos?

Also what kind of wires/cables will this entail? is it just usb or is there some sort of ribbon deal, necessitating proximity to the computer?

There is a cd drive in the computer already which i could just switch to dvd, but i'd rather have it in my dash. Am i wasting my time or is it a simple thing to have a dvd drive that far from the main unit?

Thanks for your help

Originally posted by AutoFX View Post
    Hey guys,

I want to put a dvd drive in my dash where the oem stereo was.

Should I use an internal or external drive? It seems like an external may not fit, but I don't know if an internal needs to be housed in a specific structure instead of just supported by a stereo sleeve?
    External USB drives allow for a longer cable run if your PC is in the trunk or something.
    It doesn't need to be housed in anything, but they are usually in a housing.

Are they the same size as 1din stereos?
    No.

Also what kind of wires/cables will this entail? is it just usb or is there some sort of ribbon deal, necessitating proximity to the computer?
    a ribbon cable is only IDE. Unless your PC is within 18" of your dash, IDE likely won't work for you.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
    X