Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I know if I have an ATX motherboard?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I know if I have an ATX motherboard?

OK I know it's a total newb question but that's why I'm in this forum right?

I just got an Opus 150 and I need to know how to connect everything. The computer is an HP but I don't know that much more about it I bought it off e-bay to get started with my car pc project. So how can I tell if its an ATX or not?

Would a carnetix have been a better way to go? I like the features of the Opus and i want to make it work so what do I need to do?

If the computer is less than 10 years old, it's an ATX. Not totally true, but for the most part, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by jontz View Post
      If the computer is less than 10 years old, it's an ATX. Not totally true, but for the most part, yes.
      Not true at all. And actually becoming less true nowadays with shuttle PCs using proprietary connectors.

HP is very guilty of this. As is their Compaq line (HP bought Compaw a while ago). Easiest way is to look at the motherboard. If you see this connector:

Then it is most usually ATX compiant.

If you are talking about ATX referring to physical size, then the way to tell is by using a scale and measuring the dimensions.
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
        Not true at all. And actually becoming less true nowadays with shuttle PCs using proprietary connectors.
        Well, that is why I said it isn't true accross the board. If you look at PCs by percentages, what I said is correct. You are talking about the minority of computers out there. My experience with repairing HP machines is that they are mostly standard ATX, unless you are talking about odd, small form factor PC.

The other issue is ATX compatability. Even if this mobo has an odd power connector on it, I am sure that it could be wired to work with an OPUS power supply. There is little to no chance it has some odd, non-ATX power requirement.

Comment

ATX or not

ATX motherboards have 5 PCi expanction card slots and 1 Graphic Card slot
          MicroATX Motherboards have 3 expantion card and 1 Graphic card slot

Comment

Well, that isn't always true either. I have a microATX board that only has 2 PCI slots and 1 AGP.

I found this rather handy website that has the specs for motherboards, power supplies, etc.

http://www.formfactors.org/formfactor.asp

Comment

So my "system" ribbon cable says ATA not ATX am I boned?

Is there a way to make it work with my opus power supply or is there something better?

Also there seems to be no way to open up the case of the computer it's all riveted and when I tried sliding and prying I broke some plastic tabs inside, what am I missing?

How do I get it apart so I can get to the motherboard?

Comment

No no, you are OK. ATA refers to the hard drive interface (Advance Technology Attatchment), not the form factor of the board. Chances are there is a way to make it work with your Opus, but to really be of any help to you we need to know the model number of the machine you are talking about. I am sure that there is a way to get into that case, don't worry.

Comment

What motherboard are you referring to? That tidbit of info would be very helpful...
                  2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

Planning:
                  [----------] 100%
                  Purchasing:
                  [----------] 90%
                  Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
                  [----------] 90%

Comment

Originally posted by AutoFX View Post
                    So my "system" ribbon cable says ATA not ATX am I boned?

Is there a way to make it work with my opus power supply or is there something better?

Also there seems to be no way to open up the case of the computer it's all riveted and when I tried sliding and prying I broke some plastic tabs inside, what am I missing?

How do I get it apart so I can get to the motherboard?

You do realize that there are usually screws holding the sides on as well right?

And usually it is the left side (if the front is with cds/buttons) that comes off. Sometimes the right side. Usually both, but the left side is how to get to the screws that secure the motherboard.

I have also seen cases (Sony I think) that the top, left, and right sides all slide off together. And they slide off towards the back.
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

OK first I'm new at this but I'm not retarded. I know what screws are, and if there was a simple way to slide the case apart I wouldn't waste your time so please don't waste mine just to raise your post count.

The part of the case that has all the model info and serial number and usb/serial ports has a screw on each side that I removed but that didn't allow me to remove the plate, it's still riveted several times. One side of the case seems like it wants to slide, I've made it slide about a 1/4 inch but no more and in trying to lift it I broke several tabs on the inside. I'm going to try and get some pics to help you guys out I really appreciate the help, but I don't have internet at home so I only get 5 minutes or so at a computer while I'm at work to try and explain all this, thanks for bearing with me.

Comment

No problem. Anything you can give us will help us to help you.

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                          You do realize that there are usually screws holding the sides on as well right?

Comment

Originally posted by AutoFX View Post
                            OK first I'm new at this but I'm not retarded. I know what screws are, and if there was a simple way to slide the case apart I wouldn't waste your time so please don't waste mine just to raise your post count.

The part of the case that has all the model info and serial number and usb/serial ports has a screw on each side that I removed but that didn't allow me to remove the plate, it's still riveted several times. One side of the case seems like it wants to slide, I've made it slide about a 1/4 inch but no more and in trying to lift it I broke several tabs on the inside. I'm going to try and get some pics to help you guys out I really appreciate the help, but I don't have internet at home so I only get 5 minutes or so at a computer while I'm at work to try and explain all this, thanks for bearing with me.
                            Well I was basing your intelligence factor off of trying to figure out how an ATA cable implies and ATX formfactor.

And I have worked with cases that are very deceptive. The screws are hidden behind rubber grommets for isntance. So if you didnt take any screws out, then you need to take some out. You didnt specify, so I made sure you knew. I dont know why you had to snap back but it can go both ways.

Anyways, usually those rivvets you see are not for holding the case together. It is for holding different parts to the panels of the case. And we still dont know what side you were trying to pry off, or what plastic tabs broke off.

If you can slide it a bit, then you are probably on the right track. Use something to go along the perimeter of the case until it hits. That is where it is either stuck, or screwed. So figure out why.

Pictures always help.

Comment

Working...
                            X