Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double Din Screen/Dash size Question. PC Audio to Car speakers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Din Screen/Dash size Question. PC Audio to Car speakers.

I didnt want to list all the things i had questions for on the title. Even though i read i was supposed to be descriptive.

With my Tax return I plan on building my Carputer. I got around $1500 to spend. I can build PC's no problem, I have basic knowledge of electrics. So I am pretty comfortable in a lot of respects. I still have questions.

Sifting through all this stuff is bad enough, but not getting an answers is just crappy. So.

I found a screen size (outside dimensions) of a Lilluput duel din screen. Cut it out on a scrap peice of paper. Nope, to big. WTF, why are duel dins different sizes. Or am I missing something? the screen size was 7 3/4 x 4 1/2. It was about 3mm to wide. Maybe that monitor was the one random screen that was to big. Anyways.

Computer to car speakers. I read this how to talking about Radio Transmitters, and Cassette decks....Please tell me there is a better way.

Lastly. I have been searching for a motherboard. Thats the logical place to start I think.
    http://www.store.wordsworth.co.uk/in...oduct&parent=0
    I want to have Raid (SATA) w/ two 40-80gb 7200rmp HD's, two 1gb sticks of ram, and a Core DUO Proc. This one met the requirements, but maybe there is a cheaper solution. Or it this worth the money?

Thanks for the help
    And sorry if I was a little wordy.
    Casey (HumanMan42)

Not sure where your seeing a double din screen....the 7" monitor is just a 7" monitor...many people say that it will fit in a double din system.

FAQs are invaluable when you're getting started:

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...iew&advfaqid=7

Motherboard should be fine, I'd also suggest sifting through the sticky in the hardware forum that lists off a number of motherboards.
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Originally posted by humanman42 View Post
      the screen size was 7 3/4 x 4 1/2. It was about 3mm to wide.
      7" monitors aren't technically double din, they are just close...you can do what I did an take a roto-zip to your dash and make it fit. If you are unsure about it, just go to the junkyard and buy a radio bezel from a wreck. Then you have a spare part to play with.

Computer to car speakers. I read this how to talking about Radio Transmitters, and Cassette decks....Please tell me there is a better way.
      Unfortunately, no one make an input adapter for the stereo in your car, which means that unless you are willing to ditch the factory stereo you are stuck with a FM modulator. If you are willing to go with a different head unit, just pick one with a aux input. Otherwise, you can do what I (and several others) here hve done and just eliminate the stereo completely. All you need to do is buy a good 4 channel amp (if you just have four speakers), wire it to your speakers, and hook the PC to it. Just some things to think about.

Thanks for the help
      Always happy to!

And sorry if I was a little wordy.
      Not at all. I would much rather you explain what you need help with then just post "I want a computer in my car. What should I do?"

Comment

Red - Thanks a lot. that diagram explains perfectly. I will probably make my own cables since every plug lowers the sound level a little bit.

Jontz - Thanks also, your explination is great.

I will go back to reading. And until my brain can take no more, and I am forced to once again post here.

So long

casey

Comment

Working...
        X