Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I asking for an interference problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I asking for an interference problem?

I have almost finished my car pc install but have been reading about some installs having interference problems when bundling USB, audio and video cables with their power cables. I have dedicated power and ground going directy from my battery to my pc. I have the USB, audio and video bundled in one loom along with the power and ground wires. Is it definite that I will have some sort of interference?
    Getting quality goods and service is like buying oats. If you would like clean, fresh oats you must pay a fair price. If you would like oats that have already been through the horse, those are a little cheaper.

Nothing is definite. It depends on the quality of the components, ie how good the shielding is on the VGA cable.

Comment

brodgar is correct, but by running power cables alongside signal cables you're certainly increasing the possibility of interference.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks for the input.
        What would this interference look/sound like? Static on the screen, whine in the audio?
        Getting quality goods and service is like buying oats. If you would like clean, fresh oats you must pay a fair price. If you would like oats that have already been through the horse, those are a little cheaper.

Comment

My experiences with noise are that for one thing, the VGA monitor can induce a high frequency whine into audio system, but sometimes not through the cables; instead it sneaks in through it's dc connection. Cigarette lighter plug NOT good idea. Instead, go straight to batt if poss.

Good solid grounds are a must.

i had to do a little bit of cable re-routing due to small noise problem. Suggest you don't cable-tie and tidy up too much 'till you've listened to yr audio for a bit...
          Happy CarPC'ing!

Comment

All the wires will have some interference. You want to keep the USB from the Video/audio. You want to keep power from video/audio...and you probably want to keep video and audio apart.

It is very hard to do all that...but it might be necessary. I never had an audio problem...other than what the mobo created directly. I did have a slight video interference...I think was from the computer/usb...I couldn't isolate the cables.
            current projects

Comment

Tag (so I remember to do this when I put it in).
              PDP1170/TRS80/Atari800XL/Amiga500/286/486/P2/P4/C2D/i7 still a newb (but an old newb, been doing this a while) working my way up to "Complete Newb"

Comment

Thanks for the additional input. Since I have already run most of the wiring, I'll just wait and see if I have a problem and deal with it as needed. Hopefully the dedicated ground and power minimize any problems.

Comment

Working...
                X