Need imput

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need imput

Im really into the mac mini but i got a lot of questions. I have read all that i can on the monsoon amp and what it will take to get a signal to that. (that seem like some thing i can handle). But i cant understand how the sleep mode on the mini will work with the key switch in my ignition and what kinda power supply should i use. When i get in my car i wont the mini to run like a factor set up ( get in turn key go) is this possible or will i have to get in turn car on turn on mini go. Thank you in advance for all input.Be advised i have a lot of questions i like to messier twice cut once if you know what i mean.
    I think i watched to much night rider

No Help man this is week at least point me in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by iomandala View Post
      No Help man this is week at least point me in the right direction.
      So you expect to receive answers in your own ten-hour time frame?
      Please understand that not everyone operates on your time schedule. To think that we do or should is simply arrogant.

Yes, you can have a Mac Mini setup the way you describe. There is a power supply that is made by Carnetix that will accomplish just that.

I highly suggest taking some time to read through the FAQs and looking at some of the setups of other users that involve a Mac Mini.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I apologize i am very exited i just wont to know everything as fast as possible so i can start doing this to my car.

Comment

Dude, post up in the Mac forum. Also, watch my Car PC 101 video from the link in my signature.

There's also a FAQ on how to install a Mac Mini. It's a little old but still relevant. Also, check the wiki for info on the Mac Mini.
          Originally posted by ghettocruzer
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:
          -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
          -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Need imput

I have an old lap top that i tore appart for fun looking to see what i can use what i should use and where to go nex i have the 40gb hard drive and airport card slot and the rest of it but i have never build a computer or a carputer before help me please.

Comment

What do you need help with?
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Well last night i took apart my old laptop a HP pavilion ze 4500 and found out all the parts and where i am going to start here. I have the dimensions and now i think i have a clear idea of what i would like to accomplish.this is a list of things i still need input on. I have mentioned this in another newbie post but i drive a VW 2004 GTI VR6 24v with a factory double din with the monsoon amp.

How can i get a key switch signal to put the computer into hibernate?

How can i relocate the cd/dvd drive and can i use a super drive with this computer?

What is the best inverter if i wonted to use a 12v lighter for power?

And what is the best overall front end in the xp platform?

I plan to use the monsoon I have read about this but any more diagrams and volt amp signal charts and mapping would really help. I also do not wont to alter the factory wiring I am trying to accomplish a plug and play unit where and if at all possible.

Thank you for any and all comments.

Comment

Hi,

I'm pretty new to carpc's myself, but I do have one operating currently. Please see my carpc specs and pictures to get an idea how ONE person did the install.

I can't make your decisions for you, but I can sketch what I did and some general requirements.

First and foremost, you will need to do a LOT of reading on this forum and the FAQ's. You should read until your head is about to explode. People can be friendly and helpful to newcomers, but the new guy can't stay new for too long. He needs to educate himself.

OK, first, picture your home pc. You say that you've never built a 'puter; go ahead and open the case of yr desktop pc.

See, the big circuit board is the mother board (mb or mobo). There is a power supply (psu) that converts 120vac to voltages/currents necessary. There is a hard drive (HD)for storing the operating system (eg: XP), and whatever programs, apps you want. There should be an optical drive (CDrom) to use to load in programs, music, videos, stuff... If the pc doesn't have a video card or sound card, the outputs for video and sound are jacks mounted directly on the mobo. Then of course there's the kbd and mouse...

I simplified it like this (and you SHOULD open your pc to examine) so that you will have in your mind the very basic components of any pc. If I forgot anything, sorry; I'm new, too!

Moving on to a carpc, it would also need:
                  >a case
                  >mobo
                  >HD
                  >optical drive
                  >psu (see the FAQ's at the top of the screen for psu options)
                  >connections for mouse/kbd (although carpc's have various types of input devices. I use a wireless kbd with trackball)
                  >and of course, a screen (they come in 12 volts for cars...)

Now, I went the "easy" way for my first carpc: bought a new Compaq desktop, installed an inverter, put the screen on gooseneck mount.... Actually, there was a lot of planning, and wiring, and careful running of cables, and some finesse so it doesn't look crappy, but it still wasn't that hard.

So, now you need to make your decision, based on the above requirements to build any pc, what parts do you have on hand, and what might you have to buy? I wouldn't get too crazy about how to place in hibernate w/key switch until you've roughed out the basics of your install.

I know nothing about your stock stereo or Monsoon amps, but you can Google anything...and come up with wiring diagrams, specs, schematics. It takes time and perseverence.

Sorry for the long post, but I would like to see a new guy get started in the best way.

Blessings!
                  Happy CarPC'ing!

Comment

Dude thank you so much. I have went ahead and taken apart me old laptop as high lighted above i had a lot of fun doing that. I should have seed more about my knowledge of pc computer. I know all the parts but i do not know all the specific as to very what is capible with what. I am also really good at wiring. I dont know if i should use the board i ahve from the lap top i got or if i should roll with some thing else ?

Comment

Also is the car pc meets in the philly area???

Comment

Wait, you said Philly?

I live in Somerton, near Byberry and Bustleton. If you're in Philly, we gotta meet.

You're welcome for whatever I contributed to yr understanding of....whatever related to pc's or carpc's. i find myself wishing that one of the more experienced guys would chime in - giving you some advice, but generally it seems that people are encouraged to grow at their own pace, and ask pertinent questions once they've learned enough to ask a good question...

Although the disassembly of the latop probably was a good experience for you, if it worked still, it might have made a decent starter carpc. Just keep reaeding the posts, especially the hardware and show off your install posts, where you can actually see pictures of what other guys have installed.

I believe that mp3car store has a couple carpc books on sale, or you could check Amazon.com for books.

Keep in touch - maybe we'll connect if you're in Philly. It just occurred to me; I wonder how many other carpc enthusiats there are in Philadelphia? There IS a forum for meets, could check it here to see.

Parting shot: there's no reason why you couldn't workwith that laptop board, etc if it worked when you took it apart - could be a good starter carpc at min cost!
                        Happy CarPC'ing!

Comment

yeah i really wonted to go down the mac road but with a free board and yes it still runs i have to go PC. I live in Allentown and its 45 min from the city i really wish there was a forum for the gtg (get to gather) around philly. I have a VW and there is a lot of GTG for enthusiast if there is a club or a meet in the philly i would love to see your build do you have links to pictures of the finished product? My e-mail is the same as my screen name at yahoo stay in touch and drop me a line.

Comment

Onthe main forum screen, look way down at the bottom under GENERAL for 'mp3car gatherings"
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/mp3car-gatherings/

For my pictures, see where my name is on this reply?
                            See my picture?
                            Look down below for "carpc specs" and "my pictures"

Sometimes in vegetable growing season, a friend and I like to take road trip up NE Extension to Allentown Rest Stop to that farmers market / produce setup there. Have you ever seen it?

Best of luck. Keep us all informed of any progress.
                            Happy CarPC'ing!

Comment

Testing 1..2...3...

[/url][/IMG]
                              Happy CarPC'ing!

Comment

Working...
                              X