New to MP3car, but have a problem..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to MP3car, but have a problem..

I have two 10.4 Lilliput TFT's in my car, and after updating the drivers/touch utility it has went nuts. Sometimes the USB connection will be lost, then found, then lost, etc... Also, when It does "work" and I can calibrate it, it won't calibrate properly. It was working fine before this, and I updated because once every so often the USB connection would drop when I would just touch the screen. Any ideas?

do you have a usb gps receiver?

if so check that a new mouse hasnt appeared in device manager. if it has disable it
    some gps stuff makes a fake mouse for some reason.. windows issue. obviously dont disable your touch screen

Comment

Will try that, that may be it as I installed a pharos gps receiver last week.

Comment

okay, it wasn't that. I deleted everything related to the touchscreen and then reinstalled everything again. It isn't dropping connection anymore, but now it won't calibrate properly! It's off by at least an inch, right around where 8:30 is on a clock from my intended point area. I think it has to due with the fact xp is saying i have 6 "default" monitors installed!? are they monitor drivers from lilliput, that aren't the touchscreen drivers? this is confusing and lilliput's site is a disgrace...

Comment

The touchscreen and driver is a different component from the monitor.

You can use a touchscreen overlay without is on a monitor at all and it will still work.

Your issue is in the touchscreen overlay or the touchmon software driver. It may be a mechanical failure of the overlay or a saftware conflict in the OS somewhere.

When you calibrate the screen, does it acknowledge your presses properly and write to the driver? Also, if your touchmon driver affers a higher calibration than 4 points (say a nine point calibration), give it a try. It probably won't make a difference, but it's worth a try.

Sorry, can't be much more help than that without "seeing" what's going on, but hopefully the info will help lead you to a resolution to your problem.......
          For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
          Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

well, i have tried the 9 point to to no luck also. and the usb connection is dropping again. i think i might try another usb hub, do these adapters need to be powered?

Comment

Check to make sure the bezel isn't accidentally pushing against the touch screen.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Wait a tick!

You're running through a non powered hub?

Are you running a laptop with limited usb ports or a system with more?

Either way, try connecting the touchscreen directly to the puter. Your hub could be the issue. The computer needs to "see" the hub and then the components attached to it. If the hub is dropping in and out, so will everything attached to it.

I always run a single usb cable to the puter for the touchscreen. I want a "dedicated line" for the touchscreen as that is the main interface with the OS. If that doesn't work, everything is just buggered from a function standpoint (as you have probably found out).

Just something else to try................

Cheers
                For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
                Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

running the TS off of a non-powered hub could very well cause problems. From my experience, unpowered hubs in the car in general are bad ideas simply because of the issues they cause.

I've done the same and always run a dedicated USB line to the computer for the touch screen and CD drive.
                  Jan Bennett
                  FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Basically, I can't power my hubs (I think I have 4 total) because it drains too much power from my car-psu, the opus 320w. Long story short, I had them powered, but the PC would die on me after 10-15 seconds before I figured out the power issue. Also, I have 2 touch screens, and I can't calibrate 1 at all but it never drops. It is a trek for me to run cables from my dash to my pc, as it's an H2 and I will probably need extensions. I'll have to wait until I have at least 2 hours to give to this, and I will report back either way.

Comment

Maybe you should look at a POL then if your PSU is overloaded as is...or perhaps a lower power consumption computer.

Running cables in an H2 is a lot easier than many other vehicles.
                      Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

My system is very power hungry, not too sure how I would go about it.

3- JL W7's ---way overkill but I like it.
                        3 - JL 1000/1 Amps
                        1 - 450/4 Amp
                        2-10.4 Lilliput TFTs
                        Replaced Bose Speakers with Diamond Audio throughout

PC is a mini itx solution, thinking intel, mounted in my sub box. Recently replaced also.
                        X-Fi was a must to get great sound. My installer was comparing my old flip screen headunit (Panasonic) to X-Fi, and there was no competition at all as the X-Fi was WAY more powerful.

Everything is run off of 3 yellow top batteries in a circuit, 1 for the car and 2 for the system. I would be totally lost in putting anything in I don't already have, so I might just try and run that cable, lol.

Comment

1) your audio components have absolutely NOTHING to do with how big your power supply for your computer needs to be.

I have over 3000 watts of amplification in my audio system and I've run on a measly 90watt DC-DC PSU...they are two totally different systems and are unrelated. The only thing in common is the turn on lead from the PSU to your amplifiers.

There's no reason to have a 350 watt DC-DC PSU for a mini-itx solution with a sound card. The X-Fi is not a must to get great sound, but it's a way to get great sound. Even with 2 10.4" monitors, you shouldn't be pushing the 350 watt capabilities of the Opus.

I'd also seriously question putting your computer INSIDE a sub box. I wouldn't expect it to last very long at all. There are much better places to mount something like a computer.

It sounds like you have an installer put everything in for you. If that's the case then you need to tell him to tap into a 5v lead from the PSU and run a wire for a new USB hub that runs on 5v.
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

Problem solved, the two monitors were plugged into a unpowered hub and now everything is working great and properly calibrated. Was there something in the instructions from Lilliput that it wasn't to be used with a non powered hub, or is this from case studies here only?
                            The PC is in a sub box, but a custom built one for a PC that is totally separate from the subs. It is basically a full size atx case that has been cut apart and fitted inside the back of the box. I have never had a problem with heat, and temps in NC in the summer are very hot. I'm surprised my installer didn't do the 5v lead thing as he is a whiz at basically everything in the car audio field, he might have not known about the 5v on the PSU. Everything is running smoothly now so I don't see any more need for anymore powered hubs right now except for maybe running my iPhone in the future with bluetooth (can't get it to register on the non-powered hubs at all).

Comment

probably nothing from Lilliput, it's just a well known trouble shooting step...

very few car audio pieces run at anything other than 12v DC....if he doesn't know computers, there's really no reason he would know about the 5v DC from the computer power supply.
                              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                              X