Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a 12v power port to power 3.5" drives

I have a xbox360 hddvd drive and a wd my book 320g external hd
    the power brick on the hddvd drive outputs 12v at 2.5amps and the brick on the Harddrive outputs 12v at 2.0amps, if i get a power port plugin with the proper tips to plug into the drives could i power them?

You could, but they wouldnt last long. You will need something to even out and regulate the voltage spikes that are inherent in cars power systems.
    Car Pc progress meter:
    [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

"The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
    My worklog

Comment

so are there plugin that are regulated or would you need a power supply to do that? i am thinking of using them for updating and file transfer so i dont have to pull the whole thing out of the car. they would be unplugged before i started the car.

Comment

The hard drives require regulated power.
        Drawing power directly from the car's electrical system is not regulated and would likely damage the HDD.

Get a voltage regulator. A Carnetix P2160 would probably do you nicely if you can find one.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

BTW your car's alternator normally produces 14 volts.
          current projects

Comment

Working...
          X