VW Cupholder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW Cupholder

I have a mark IV Jetta and I've noticed in a lot of these pics the cupholder is taken out...would I have to remove mine in order to install a carputer?

NO, you can keep it.
    This is my Golf the cup holder is still there. You cant really use the screen when the holder is in use tho.

Comment

That's scary. Cup holder directly above LCD = bad idea. I wouldn't risk it.
      CarPC:
      1.8GHz Northwood, Intel 845 Mobo, 512MB DDR, 1x20GB + 1x160GB, Intel GPU, SB Live 5.1

Sound System:
      Phoenix Gold RSD 65cs 6.5" Drivers, Infinity Tweets, Pioneer 305DVC 12", PPI Sedona 630IX, Alpine MRP-M500

Comment

Originally posted by ronjon228 View Post
        That's scary. Cup holder directly above LCD = bad idea. I wouldn't risk it.
        Commenting about things you have no 1st hand knowledge = bad idea

You scare easily, these cupholders don't spill drinks.
        Any condensation drips well infront of the screen. Drinks are held infront of the screen by about 1 inch. The bottom of the cup is just above 1/2 way down the screen.

The stock radio goes in the same location as the LCD, as would the factory 7inch Sat Nav if you ordered it. I doubt VW would make it this way if there was a problem !

Go find a VW MK4 and have a look for yourself.

You would have to crash the car to spill a drink on the screen, then I guess the insurance co would buy you another one !!

Comment

Thanks, yeah the use of the screen isn't too important I'm just gonna use WMP for now as my music interface because i'll be using a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse to control everything and I just use the search bar to find the music I want (I have over 40 gb of music so I wanna be able to search fast).

Comment

Originally posted by CLUCK View Post
            Commenting about things you have no 1st hand knowledge = bad idea

You would have to crash the car to spill a drink on the screen, then I guess the insurance co would buy you another one !!
            Take it from someone WITH first hand knowledge, its a bad idea. As a VW technician in the past, i have replaced radios due to liquid damage, stemming from those cupholders. You are not thinking things through enough. What about if you get a drink from a fast food place and they dont put the lid on tight/correctly. You hit the brakes, liquid shifts in the cup, and you 200+$ lili or xenarc is toast. Plus anything else that lives behind or under the screen. Dont even think about it if youve got a transflective setup.

Why risk all that money and time? Remember, hindsight may be 20/20, but forsight is priceless.
            Car Pc progress meter:
            [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

"The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
            My worklog

Comment

By removing the cup holders you can actually fit an 8in 4:3 touch screen (I'm using the 809GL Lilliput), itís a tight fit but it fits. Little eerie of the cup holders myself I found removing them to be the best solution. Donít have to worry about liquid damage and you now have room for a larger screen.

I'm at work otherwise I'd post up some pics of the bezel in its current state.

Comment

I've seen heaps of installs which seem to retain the cup holder. So I guess you can have it but its your choice if you use it to hold leaking cups.
                Personally I don't use mine very often, once every 2 months ths maybe, and I dont frequent fast food places so the loose lid point is mute.
                I had thought about installing a slim DVD in behind the flip up cover.

Comment

Originally posted by CLUCK View Post
                  I've seen heaps of installs which seem to retain the cup holder. So I guess you can have it but its your choice if you use it to hold leaking cups.
                  Personally I don't use mine very often, once every 2 months ths maybe, and I dont frequent fast food places so the loose lid point is mute.
                  I had thought about installing a slim DVD in behind the flip up cover.
                  I thought about hiding the DVD drive there as well, but my current basic install isn't even going to have one... if I decided to install one down the road its probably just going to be a 5.25" one from work that I can hide on the top shelf of the glove box along with some extra USB ports. With flash drives holding 8GBs I can easily transfer everything I need between carPC & homePC, not to mention the 160GB HDD. I'd much rather have an 8in than a 7in (if you know what i mean ).

Comment

Working...
                  X