Starten to make a carputer "need input"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starten to make a carputer "need input"

Ok I been thinking and researching for part to make a good carputer.
    here is a list that I tend on buying and if the part are good to get please tell me but if there might be a better part than the one Im getting I would like some help please well the most important part is motherboard. I plan on getting a
    Mini-ITX motherboard Which cost $60
    # VIA CLE266 chipset+VT8235M
    # One DDR memory slot
    # 1GHZ CPU motherboard on board
    # 2 x IDE (Hard drive connectors)
    # Rear I/O pannel: PS2 KB+PS2 Mouse connectors+Parallel Port+Com Port+15 Pin VGA port+4 USB connectors+10/100 port+sounds.
    # Motherboard size: 17cm x 19cm
    and some memory
    Carnetix CNX P1900 DC DC Regulator $99..
    I already have a hard drive thats 200Gb with external case
    so right now its only $159 Im spending, Ill worry about the monitor later till I get a working desktop or I can take the one i just built which is a
    (already built)
    -MSI-K8N Neo4 motherboard
    -AMD Athlon 64x2 3800 dual core processore
    -2Ghz 1gb corsair memory
    -200gb maxtor hard drive
    -and I forgot wat kind of graphic card i put in it but i think its 512mb
    so I could just make a slim case and stick it in trunk but i dunno if i want that kind of power supply for a carputer.. and booting might take a like 8-14secs..and i still dont know wat kind of power supply to use for it in the car though.

Thread moved to Newbie section.

Google "VIA CLE266" and the first link will take you to VIA's tech specs that tell you what kind of memory to use.

The most important part of a Car PC, IMHO, is the power supply and screen. Almost anything can be used as the computer hardware.
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

If i go with my already made at home desktop what kind of power supply would i use to put it in the car.? i would really like some help on choosing a good power supply.
      this is how it was coming alone till i seen people putting pc in cars heh.. and made me wana put mine in my car. and I drew/painted the skulls on

Comment

The answer is in the FAQ's right here.
        I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
        Want to:

Comment

ok so I did all that and this is what I came up with.

Athlon 64-3800+
          (2.4GHz - 512KB) ?V
          (?V~?V) ?V ?A 89W 65° C

Motherboard w/on-board devices 1.50 1.00 0.20 12.35 W
          System fan 0.15 1.80 W
          Processor fan 0.15 3.60 W
          Memory (per 128MB of DDR) 0.40 4.00 W
          AGP Video card 2.00 6.60 W
          PCI Sound 0.50 0.50 4.15 W
          5400rpm 3.5" IDE Hard Drive 0.90 1.80 26.10 W
          CD-RW Drive 1.20 0.80 15.60 W
          DVD Drive 1.20 1.10 19.20 W
          USB devices 0.50 5.00 W
          Keyboard 0.05 0.25 W
          Mouse 0.03 0.15 W
          Totals 4.00 A 6.68 A 4.35 A 98.80 W

ok... so my cpu is 89w and my system is 98w so i can just get a regular? power supply like the one i listed without getting the regulator? or i still have to get regulator.. this is confusing me i dunno why but it is... help please..?

Comment

Do you mean that your CPU is 98 watts and your System is an additional 89 watts for a total of 187 watts? That sounds about right. You need additional overhead because there are higher draws on startup. A 250 watt power supply would probably work.

If you get a DC-DC power supply, they usually have regulation built in unless they are cheap. You need regulation because the voltage in your car fluctuates and is subject to electrical noise and interference.
            Want to:

Comment

ok great man thank so much for all you're input you are such help.

So I went and looked at the power supplies ya'll sell and I only see this one that only 220Ws and one thats 320Ws but I think that will fry it. But if I do get the 220w I wouldn't need the dc-dc regulator right since its programed in the power supply?

Im thinking of also just getting a separate battery to run this high power pc. is this a good idea? that way it don't suck up to much of the juice from the car it self?

Comment

Working...
              X