Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help with screen & laptop

Hello Every one,

I am new to this forum and to car Pcs....I was just thinking about installing a car pc in my 08 fusion....which has a JVC 7" touch screen dvd player....I have a Hp laptop which I am thinking about using as a car pc....My JVC has a RCA input...

1) So how do I connect my laptop output VGA,S-video to the JVC's Rca....I searched on the internet but I was not able to find the right product..please suggest me the best product...

2) I am thinking about connecting my laptop power supply to the cigar lighter by using a cigar lighter - 12vdc adaptor...I am not sure if this is going to overload the battery as my JVC, amp & subs rum on the battery....Can anyone suggest me what would be the best option to do..

3) If every thing works well can I use my PC through the JVC's touch screen...

LOT OF QUESTIONS...Please help me out...

Originally posted by fusionrampage View Post
    Hello Every one,

I am new to this forum and to car Pcs....I was just thinking about installing a car pc in my 08 fusion....which has a JVC 7" touch screen dvd player....I have a Hp laptop which I am thinking about using as a car pc....My JVC has a RCA input...

1) So how do I connect my laptop output VGA,S-video to the JVC's Rca....I searched on the internet but I was not able to find the right product..please suggest me the best product...
    s-video to composite video adapters are pretty cheap and very common.
    This site has a 6ft adapter cable for $8.95. First hit on Google.

2) I am thinking about connecting my laptop power supply to the cigar lighter by using a cigar lighter - 12vdc adaptor...I am not sure if this is going to overload the battery as my JVC, amp & subs rum on the battery....Can anyone suggest me what would be the best option to do..
    All your car's electrical components run from the battery.
    No, adding a laptop probably won't overload it. You'll know in short order if it does... The alternator won't be able to keep the battery charged when the engine is running.

3) If every thing works well can I use my PC through the JVC's touch screen...
    No.
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/advf...ew&advfaqid=17

LOT OF QUESTIONS...Please help me out...
    Three isn't a lot.

Welcome to our madness.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Firstly Thank You for welcoming me & for the quick reply...

Are there any vga - rca adaptors...Which one do you think is better s-video to Rca or Vga-Rca...

Hmmm sad to know that I cant use touch screen on my expensive screen lol as I am not geeky nor bold to tweak the screen may be i will go with this for now....

Comment

So what do you think about my setup is it going to do ok with all this....Give me your suggestion...Now one part of me wants to return the screen because of the touch screen thingy..but my other part says no as I will be loosing 15% restocking fee & 100$ intallation feee........thinkingggggg....

Comment

Are there any vga - rca adaptors...Which one do you think is better s-video to Rca or Vga-Rca...
          yes, VGA-RCA adapters do exist but they are expensive. it would only be necessary is if your computer had only a VGA output, but since you have an S-video output as well, then it would be much cheaper to go that route instead. the end result will be composite video regardless of what the source originated as...
          F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
          Fusion Carputer [2.0]
          Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Originally posted by FusionFanatic View Post
            yes, VGA-RCA adapters do exist but they are expensive. it would only be necessary is if your computer had only a VGA output, but since you have an S-video output as well, then it would be much cheaper to go that route instead. the end result will be composite video regardless of what the source originated as...
            Thank You very much FusionFantaic....I like your setup...

Comment

So what do you think about my setup is it going to do ok with all this....
              will it work? yes... will it be ideal? [IMO] no, but it depends on what you want to do, and features are important to you. a touchscreen is the safest way to run a carPC while driving as it only requires that you glance at the screen for a second to use it. if you use any other input method (mouse, trackball, touchpad, etc) you will have to concentrate more on the screen which can be very dangerous while driving. for me, a touchscreen is an absolute necessity for a carPC.

Now one part of me wants to return the screen because of the touch screen thingy..but my other part says no as I will be loosing 15% restocking fee & 100$ intallation feee...
              the $100 installation fee is a total loss (unrecoverable) no matter what you decide. even if you decide to use your JVC HU as your carPC monitor, you will still have to remove the center bezel, remove the HU, hook up your audio/video wires, re-install the HU, and re-install the center bezel. you will have re-done 80% of the installation that you paid $100 for (the other 20% is connecting the wire harnesses together). the entire "80%" process I just mentioned can be done in less than 10 minutes, the Fusion's radio opening is very easy to access.

I don't know what model HU you bought, or how much you paid for it; but 15% could big hit on a radio you just bought. check eBay prices for that model, you might be able to recover more money by selling an "almost brand new" HU.

I know it can be frustrating to lose money on something like that, but it's worth it in the end because you'll have an "infortainment" system (your carPC) that is far superior to the JVC HU. think of it like you bought it at circuitcity one week, then bestbuy had it on sale the week after for $150 less

in the end, the money lost can just be added to your total carPC expenses. your whole carPC setup could end up costing you less than you paid for the JVC HU, so you may not end up losing anything

have you set a budget for how much $$$ you are willing to spend on this project?
              Fusion Carputer [2.0]
              Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

will it work? yes... will it be ideal? [IMO] no, but it depends on what you want to do, and features are important to you. a touchscreen is the safest way to run a carPC while driving as it only requires that you glance at the screen for a second to use it. if you use any other input method (mouse, trackball, touchpad, etc) you will have to concentrate more on the screen which can be very dangerous while driving. for me, a touchscreen is an absolute necessity for a carPC.

the $100 installation fee is a total loss (unrecoverable) no matter what you decide. even if you decide to use your JVC HU as your carPC monitor, you will still have to remove the center bezel, remove the HU, hook up your audio/video wires, re-install the HU, and re-install the center bezel. you will have re-done 80% of the installation that you paid $100 for (the other 20% is connecting the wire harnesses together). the entire "80%" process I just mentioned can be done in less than 10 minutes, the Fusion's radio opening is very easy to access.

I don't know what model HU you bought, or how much you paid for it; but 15% could big hit on a radio you just bought. check eBay prices for that model, you might be able to recover more money by selling an "almost brand new" HU.

I know it can be frustrating to lose money on something like that, but it's worth it in the end because you'll have an "infortainment" system (your carPC) that is far superior to the JVC HU. think of it like you bought it at circuitcity one week, then bestbuy had it on sale the week after for $150 less

in the end, the money lost can just be added to your total carPC expenses. your whole carPC setup could end up costing you less than you paid for the JVC HU, so you may not end up losing anything

have you set a budget for how much $$$ you are willing to spend on this project?

The model that I bought is an JVC KWAVX800. I bought it at circuit city for 540 with taxes yesterday & I had it installed it today morning & came across your site afternoon..

Coming to the installation: I searched on the internet all evening yesterday trying to figure out how to remove the bezel....Alas I found your site today after everything is done..

Now the project part: I have my laptop with me so basically I need only the screen & connections...I am not at all sure if I can actually do all the fabrications if I go for a bigger screen....Just thinking about what to do...

Comment

Thank You very much FusionFantaic....
                  you're welcome.... always glad to help a fellow Fusion owner

...I like your setup...
                  thanks, but I don't actually have that setup anymore

I wanted a "cleaner" look than the fiberglass bezel I made before, so I bought a new center bezel (the plain charcoal grey version) and enlarged the radio opening about 1/4" horizontally to fit an un-modified Lilliput EBY-701 in there. I doesn't necessarily make it look any more "OEM", but I think It gives a cleaner look than my old setup. this way it looks more like I simply replaced the HU with a double-DIN monitor.

I got rid of the old laptop in the trunk and replaced it with a [faster and more compact] mini-ITX system under the passenger seat. (see specs above avatar):

I didn't use my old carPC setup as my primary audio source, so I never bothered with a front-end. but my new system is now my primary audio (and everything) source, so I installed Road-Runner with the Digital-FX 3.0 skin and I now use that for everything.

for now I'm still using my Pioneer HU to amplify the audio (until I replace it with a small 4-channel amp), but I don't need constant access to it so for now it lives in the glove box...

P.S. - I'm not trying to hijack your thread, I'm just trying to give you some examples/ideas for your future setup. my new dash/bezel setup only required a few minutes of filing the radio opening to fit the 7" monitor, so it's very easy, even for a first-time carPC'er. I know the Fusion interior quite well so let me know if you need any more help
                  Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                  Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

I wanted a "cleaner" look than the fiberglass bezel I made before, so I bought a new center bezel (the plain charcoal grey version) and enlarged the radio opening about 1/4" horizontally to fit an un-modified Lilliput EBY-701 in there. I doesn't necessarily make it look any more "OEM", but I think It gives a cleaner look than my old setup. this way it looks more like I simply replaced the HU with a double-DIN monitor.

WOW man this looks a lot different than the first one I love this....

I got rid of the old laptop in the trunk and replaced it with a [faster and more compact] mini-ITX system under the passenger seat. (see specs above avatar):

I didn't use my old carPC setup as my primary audio source, so I never bothered with a front-end. but my new system is now my primary audio (and everything) source, so I installed Road-Runner with the Digital-FX 3.0 skin and I now use that for everything.

for now I'm still using my Pioneer HU to amplify the audio (until I replace it with a small 4-channel amp), but I don't need constant access to it so for now it lives in the glove box...

WOW its awesome....

P.S. - I'm not trying to hijack your thread, I'm just trying to give you some examples/ideas for your future setup. my new dash/bezel setup only required a few minutes of filing the radio opening to fit the 7" monitor, so it's very easy, even for a first-time carPC'er. I know the Fusion interior quite well so let me know if you need any more help
                    Hey its ok I need help thats it...I dont bother if you hijack my thread or me or my car

Comment

WHAT IS THAT THING ON THE TOP OF THE MONITOR

Comment

The model that I bought is an JVC KWAVX800. I bought it at circuit city for 540 with taxes
                        well the taxes won't count towards the 15% RF, so at ~$500 (don't know your state's tax rate, and to keep the math simple ) you would only lose about ~$75.

I searched on the internet all evening yesterday trying to figure out how to remove the bezel
                        it just pulls straight out. you don't need any tools, just pull it out by hand; start at the bottom and work your way around until each retaining clip is free (they can be VERY tight, so you will need to use a considerable amount of force to break them lose, but they will come out. use both hands to grab the bezel, and try to avoid any extreme bending (that will cause stress marks, or break it). unplug the wire harnesses and pull the bezel off. remove the HU (or aftermarket installation/trim kit by unscrewing the 4 hex bolts (2 per side)

Now the project part: I have my laptop with me so basically I need only the screen & connections...
                        you will also need a power supply (and a startup controller if you want it turn on automatically when you start the car). you will also need a way to amplify the audio; you can use a headunit or you can feed the computer's audio directly into a small amplifier.

the good news is: you should be able to buy all that for less than your JVC HU cost

I am not at all sure if I can actually do all the fabrications if I go for a bigger screen....Just thinking about what to do...
                        like I mentioned in my last post, my current setup only required a few minutes of filing and sanding to horizontally enlarge the radio opening to fit the EBY-701 (it only needed to be enlarged by about 1/4"). so rest assured, if you go that route than you can do it yourself very easily
                        Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                        Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

WHAT IS THAT THING ON THE TOP OF THE MONITOR
                          lol... that's my Pioneer Inno XM sat radio receiver. it won't be there much longer, I will either use an XM direct receiver controlled through the carPC or I'll simply cancel the service. either way you won't see that hideous thing much longer
                          Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                          Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

lol... that's my Pioneer Inno XM sat radio receiver. it won't be there much longer, I will either use an XM direct receiver controlled through the carPC or I'll simply cancel the service. either way you won't see that hideous thing much longer
                            Ha ha...I ordered a sirius too need to think what to do about it....OK heres a sad thing I just had a small accident & i had some scrapes (be light on spelling mistakes) on my front bumper...any suggestions on how to fix that...My car is a light silver color or sage i think thats what they call at ford...

Comment

Working...
                            X