Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about powersupplies and SDC

Hey guys!

New to the whole carPC thing, but have been lurking on and off for a year or so. Finally made the plunge and bought a 7" touch screen off of another forum. Not here yet, but the power supply issue has been bothering me!

Basically, what I want to do, is have the power supply (either inverter, or DSATX)turn on and turn on the computer whenever I have the key in the ON position (meaning no acc such as a/c and.or radiator fan). I want this because I go to the drive-in everynow and then, and don't want to bring a portable boom-box for the audio.

I am in a toss up of what powersupply to use. I am either between an inverter and a DSATX 220w.

System as follows:
    Celeron 2.4
    1gb ram
    40gb HDD
    ASRock atx mobo
    slot load dvd.

I have found this diagram which uses an inverter:

courtesy of: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/383433-post21.html

That is what I would like to do. With the DSATX, is that one of the selectable SDC modes? Obviously the key will be in the ON as opposed to just in the keyslot.

**Also, will be running 2 amps (fronts&subs)

I am totally confused, I have read and read and read, but nothing has really confirmed anything for me. Inverter, or DSATX?

I might just run a momentary switch to my dash, so whenever i want it on, I can turn it on, and whenever I want it off....I can turn it off

this way no worries about if it powered down properly....hmmmm

Comment

You need something called a valet switch. Rather than a momentary switch, use either an SPST switch or an SPDT one, wired like this.
      Originally posted by ghettocruzer
      I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
      Want to:
      -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
      -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

okay, so what i am going to be doing now is this:

run an inverter(or dsatx 220w) power supply, and mount a momentary switch to my dash, connected to the motherboard power/restard pins (stealing from old computer case). what would be the best way to do this? I assume relays will still be involved? Basically, what i want, is even if the car is parked, ie. not on, is to be able to push the momentary switch to turn on the system.

Also, if possible, I want the system to be powered (not shut-down) when the switch is pressed (car off), and when i crank the engine for the power to stay on, and not reboot the PC.

I will be using either of the 2 mentioned powersupplies. What would be the best way to do this? All the while being able to turn off the dsatx or inverter when I leave the car so no power is going to it at all

I am sorry for the confusing wordings...I am having trouble saying what I really want to be able to do.

Comment

I don't think you are thinking this through fully. If you wire either the inverter or the DSATX to your battery, the only function of the ignition key is to signal a start or a stop to your PSU.

That means you can start the computer anytime you want without the key in the ignition as long as you put some power on either the switched input on the DSATX or the com port for your inverter solution. Basically, just run power from your battery, through a switch to your switched input.

However, if you ALSO use the ignition key accessory line to signal the computer to turn on and off, you will get your power supply out of synch with whether the car is on or not. Basically, you will push the momentary switch to turn it off, it will shut down, and then when you turn the car off the computer will start up again even though the car is off.

Hook it up the way 2k1Toaster says in the post I linked you to. That will do what you want.
          I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
          Want to:

Comment

yea I decided too, I noticed that the way i was trying to describe what I want isnt even correctly what I want

Thanks alot guys!

Cant wait to start my build

Sooo excited!

Comment

There's a clearer diagram here on post #29.
              Want to:

Comment

FYI

The Vector brand of inverter that I bought from
                www.invertersrus.com
                can be ordered with a remote turn-on switch. It plugs into the inverter control panel using a telephone-type connector, has an about 16 foot cable attached, and a neat little contol panel. Looks like it's designed to be used for a motor home or something. I mounted mine in a neat cutout in my glove box - works like a charm.
                Happy CarPC'ing!

Comment

Working...
                X