2002 Town Car - How can I install 7" LCD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 Town Car - How can I install 7" LCD

Hello. This is my first post at mp3car.com.

I have a 2002 Town Car. The cutout for the factory audio unit in the dash is slightly smaller than a so-called Double-DIN. Short of fabricating something from scratch, I wonder if the only way to install a 7" panel is to somehow put it behind the cutout. This would certainly block control buttons typically found on the bezel of LCD panels.

Any better solution?
    Attached Files

Seems as if you've answered you own questions.................
    For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
    Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

greatwhite,
      Thanks for your reply.
      Suppose that I do install a 7" LCD panel behind the factory cutout. Since the control buttons on the outer bezel of the LCD will be block, how would I gain control of the functions provided by these buttons?

For example, please look at this panel:
      http://store.mp3car.com/New_7_Transf..._p/mon-052.htm

-- nunz

Originally posted by greatwhite View Post
      Seems as if you've answered you own questions.................

Comment

Suppose that I do install a 7" LCD panel from behind the factory cutout.
        Then, the control buttons on the LCD panel will be blocked.
        How would I then access the functions of the LCD that are controlled by these buttons?

http://store.mp3car.com/New_7_Transf..._p/mon-052.htm

Comment

Relocate the buttons or use the remote............
          For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
          Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

You'd have to cut a hole in that bezel so it can see the remote (IR).
            Or leave the monitor always on. (If it has auto-on capabilities)
            AtmosUSA.biz, E-Cig Mods
            "A great smoking alternative"

Comment

Originally posted by muldrick View Post
              You'd have to cut a hole in that bezel so it can see the remote (IR).
              Or leave the monitor always on. (If it has auto-on capabilities)
              Or just tuck the IR receiver into one of the vents flanking the LCD.

FYI, what everyone is saying is that the buttons can be replaced 100% with the remote control, and most people just ditch the button board, although not all.

Take a browse through the completed projects forum to get some ideas, then break out a dremel and go to town (car) LOL

Suggestion may be to get a dash panel out of a junked car and work with that.

GL!
              Working on - 2006 Cadillac Escalade with all the TOYS!

COMPLETE! - 2002 Cadillac DTS - Summer 2008 - SOLD SUMMER 2010

COMPLETE! - 1998 Cadillac Deville Concours - Summer 2007 - SOLD SUMMER 2008

Comment

Thank you, greatwhite, muldrick, and quantum.

Using the remote in lieu of the buttons makes sense, plus it would result in a cleaner panel look. Yes, I should learn from completed projects.

Also, an identical panel from a junk yard sounds like a great idea, too, so that I can take time with the installation of an LCD panel from behind the factory cutout.

Comment

quantum, Where is the Completed Projects forum you mentioned?
                  I could not locate it here...

Comment

Try this: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/
                    If you cant DODGE em, RAM em.

Comment

Yup, that's the one.
                      Working on - 2006 Cadillac Escalade with all the TOYS!

COMPLETE! - 2002 Cadillac DTS - Summer 2008 - SOLD SUMMER 2010

COMPLETE! - 1998 Cadillac Deville Concours - Summer 2007 - SOLD SUMMER 2008

Comment

Working...
                      X