Motherboard/Proccessor Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motherboard/Proccessor Advice

Is there any other good bang for the buck set ups out there, ive looked and havent really found better

Motherboard/Proccessor Advice

Hey guys, I've been reading all day so I apologize if this has been covered.

I'm doing a build on a budget and am just starting to line the parts up. I was wondering about experiences with the Intel D201GLY2 Little Valley I read other places where it is slower than expected. Im wanting to do GPS, XM, GPS, Wireless, bluetooth support, but mostly MP3 and video play. I just want to make sure there wont be glitching or studdaring. If so does anyone have ideas for best bang for the buck mobo/proc combos? I know the core 2s are up and coming. Thanks for your time

Randy

PS looking on ebay, why in the world is the SL9BR INTEL CELERON D 3.06 GHZ so Cheap? thx again!

Comment

HELLO AND WELCOME i use the D201GLY2 in my installation and will be doing a compairson to my Jetway j7f3epb board as soon as i get the exact same software installed on both, the weirdest thing to me is that it seems to preform better on the "work bench" then in the car, heat may be my issue not sure

but so far i am pleased with the D201GLY2 for cost vs preformance, i use audio, video, and gps, the only time i get lag is when going from gps (iguidance) back to my main screen on my skin with a transparent avs window

ask me any quetions you want about the D201GLY2 its getting alot of use right now
      MY build...a walk thru, finally getting to it

Comment

How much RAM are you currently running? Could that be the cause of the GPS lag?

Comment

ive got a gig which is the max

Comment

What power supply do you run on it? And how does all that connection battery to (relay?) then to power supply. Ive read and read and read and would just like a clear answer before I order a bundle ya know. Thanks 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by RanDJ8487 View Post
              I'm doing a build on a budget and am just starting to line the parts up. I was wondering about experiences with the Intel D201GLY2 Little Valley I read other places where it is slower than expected. Im wanting to do GPS, XM, GPS, Wireless, bluetooth support, but mostly MP3 and video play. I just want to make sure there wont be glitching or studdaring. If so does anyone have ideas for best bang for the buck mobo/proc combos?
              I use a D201GLY2A with 512MB ram and a full XP install...

front end - RoadRunner
              skin - Digital FX 3.0
              GPS - iGuidance 4.0 / GlobalSAT BU-353
              audio - Winamp 2.95
              video - WMP 10
              browser - FireFox 2.0
              diagnostics - DigiMoto5 / ELM327

no problem with running any of those programs, no "stuttering" or "glitching". there is a very slight lag (less than 2 seconds) to for iGuidance to embed itself in RoadRunner (it opens right away, but it takes a sec to resize and embed itself into the front end. it doesn't cause the audio to skip or anything so I don't consider that an issue.

with my old setup (600MHz PIII, 392MB PC100 ram) I would get a momentary blank white screen every time iGuidance transitioned from the 'map screen' to the 'direction screen'. it's a known issue on slow machines, but it doesn't happen at all with the D201GLY2A (screen transitions are nice and smooth ). I had a video I took of everything running, playing music, video, GPS, switching menus, etc; I will post it up for you if I can find it.

the 1.2GHz Celeron-220 in the D201GLY2 and D201GLY2A is a Conroe-L (Core-2) based processor so don't let the low clock speed fool you, they are much faster than the old Pentium4-based Celerons. it performs quite well for normal (my) carPC uses, I haven't hit a snag yet.

...regarding the best "bang for the buck" -I don't know of any other small board/CPU that can match it's performance for only ~$75... while there certainly more powerful options out there, none that I know of come anywhere near that price range
              F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
              Fusion Carputer [2.0]
              Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

i hook mine up tp the m2atx it works great i also have a 200watt one with a custom relay
                the m2 is great for power

Comment

What power supply do you run on it?
                  ... the little valley boards only consume ~27watts so it's pretty flexible when it comes to power supplies. I run mine off an M2-ATX -HV.

how does all that connection battery to (relay?) then to power supply
                  you don't need a relay for an 'intelligent ATX power supply'. it will turn it's own power on/off automatically...

there are three [input] power connections:

1.) - constant 12vdc; this should be connected directly to the car battery. if you already have a thick amp power line then you can use that, otherwise you will need to run a new power line for the PSU. I use 10awg for my setup, I wouldn't recommend anything thinner than 12awg. using thinner wire will cause a significant voltage drop, which will result in a decrease in PSU output power or in extreme cases will prevent the PSU from working at all.

2.) - ground; this wire needs to be as thick as your power wire and should be connected to a clean (unpainted, uncoated) metal body/chassis panel in the car. alternatively, you could run the ground directly to the neg battery terminal but it's not necessary.

3.) - ACC; this is what triggers the PSU to turn on and off. it can be connected to the car's ACC circuit, the car's IGN circuit, or a switch (or both). this wire does not directly power the PSU so it does not need to be as thick as your power and ground wires.

NOTE: if you're hooking up multiple 'triggers' to your car's ACC or IGN circuits then I would suggest you use a relay to minimize the additional (non-factory) load put in the factory wires.

Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                  Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

so the intelligent ATX power supply, will this allow the computer to have the capability to shut down when the car is cut off rather than just cutting power to the computer? Or even to run in standby bc i know that doesnt consume power. Thanks for all your help guys

Comment

so the intelligent ATX power supply, will this allow the computer to have the capability to shut down when the car is cut off rather than just cutting power to the computer?
                      yes; when the car is turned off, the PSU "presses" the computer power button so the computer will perform a proper shutdown (it does not abruptly cut power). the PSU always has constant battery power available to it, it uses the car's ACC or IGN circuit to tell it when to turn on/off.

Or even to run in standby bc i know that doesnt consume power.
                      standby DOES indeed consume power. when the computer is put into standby mode, the current state of windows is loaded into memory (RAM). RAM needs to be constantly powered to retain it's information.

you may be confusing standby with hibernation. hibernation is similar to standby, they key difference being that the information is loaded onto the HDD instead of RAM. since the HDD does not need power to retain it's information, the computer can be completely shut down.\

Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                      Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

oops sorry no I knew that, I meant to say "much" power my fault.

Comment

Okay so this is what I'm looking at so far:

New Intel D201GLY2A Little Valley with 1.33 GHz Celeron Processor (Fan Cooled)
                          M2-ATX 160W Intelligent DC-DC PSU
                          Already have a 80 gig SATA HD
                          Already have a 5.1 sound card
                          Looking around at a nice case to fit in my small place
                          Going for the infamous lilliput 7" touch
                          1 GB of RAM
                          2 Fans

I think I wanna go with the HD FM radio which can wait bc I'm signing up for XM, gonna do GPS, Bluetooth, and Wireless (not sure if I wanna go with the N yet or not)

After all those things, the case and a USB CD drive I should be good to go right? Other than all the wiring. Oh and I believe I'm going to go with Roadrunner. Im a computer science major so I think as far as coding and modification goes, I should be set. I just want to check through as I make my list. Thanks again guys, I'm very greatful for your responses

Comment

Does anyone know of the issues with the Jetway J9F2. I bought this board and it won't post but everything turns on and i get no motherboard beeps.
                            ~The Build Process Begins~
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/newb...you-think.html

~The Build Process Ends~
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...completed.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bxsteez View Post
                              Does anyone know of the issues with the Jetway J9F2. I bought this board and it won't post but everything turns on and i get no motherboard beeps.
                              That board sucks. Return it and get a real board: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/revi...hat-p-o-s.html
                              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
                              X