Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [My BMW E36 Car PC project][Ur Assistance]

Hi guys.
    For the past few months it had become a habit for me to come and visit mp3car.com on a regular basis. I own an E36 320i BMW, and ive been " doin it up" since the day i got it. And now its time for me to do take of the entertainment system of the car, and i would like some advice, thoughts and opinions from the experts themselves.
    My car:
    My Plan for my boot:

The Circular thing in the middle is ment to be the sub
    the red boxes on left and right are mono and 4 channel amps
    the sub will probebly end up going behind the boot, as it will be too close the computer casing otherwise, and the vibrations wont be too good for it

What Ill use the computer for:
    Im planning to use the pc mainly for music storage, im planning to use it to play videos every now and then. GPS would probebly be 1 of the 1st functions that ill add to it.

Hardware:
    What I have:
    -7"
    FULLY AUTOMATIC IN-Dash LCD Monitor w/VGA & Touchscreen

-some of the compononents for the sound system, sub etc
    -liliput 7"LCD, that i plan to install in boot, mostly for show not much usage, but i have the screen might aswell install it somewhere.
    -heaps of 3.5" hdd with different capacities, ill just go with a 20 gig one.
    -ddr rams of different sizes

What Im planning on buying:
    Mini-ITX GA-PCV2 ITX Motherboard VIA 800MHz DDR
    Slim DVD rom

Things im Unsure about:
    PSU, i still dont fully understand the differnt components of the power supplying process and im not sure what componenets i need, from my understanding, buying 1 of these will give me, the shutting down starting up controlling abilites, protect the system from high peak voltages and sudden drops, and will most impotantly of all provide power for the pc system.
    and from my understanding theres no cheap way of getting around this? because i dont mind having to switch the comp on and off by hand.
    Another thing, are there any cases that come with PSU included in them
    And finaly another thing im taking into consideration is not having the comp system in a case at all and just mounting it in the boot behind the vinyl housing where the amps etc will be mounted to, and possible making a small box around it with fans too cool it down.

So what do you guys reckon? what am i forgetting, what am i underestimating?
    Looking forward to your tips,
    thank you.

Another thing that just came to my mind now, what if instead of spending money on building a pc etc, i buy an Asus EEE and set it up in the boot, in a nice rack that holds it, and as for power ill connect it up using the normal in car charger, with a witch somewhere in the circuit. As for connecting it to the screen upfront i can use the VGA out.
    Only thing that worries me: Quality of sound, obviously theres no PCI slots so i cant put in a nice 5.1 sound card... what can i do? USB sound cards :S?
    Your views on this?

Comment

u managed to go the eee pc route?

Comment

Okay.... been a while since i chimed in on either this forum or the Bimmerforums... so here goes....

Do not go with the pop out LCD screen i hear its a fragile piece of hardware. Are you going for the stock from factory look? Judging by the schematic and the over sized back bummer prolly not. If you were i would suggest the e36 bezel from the forum. Scratch the EEE and do some work building your PC. Long term you atleast have scalability. If you want Portability. go with a non P4 laptop with atleast 1gig of processing power and 1 gig of Memory. For kicks you may want to add 2 usb ports in fron of the gear shift next to your lighter. for any type of uploading and what not. just my thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by texas319 View Post
          Okay.... been a while since i chimed in on either this forum or the Bimmerforums... so here goes....

Do not go with the pop out LCD screen i hear its a fragile piece of hardware. Are you going for the stock from factory look? Judging by the schematic and the over sized back bummer prolly not. If you were i would suggest the e36 bezel from the forum. Scratch the EEE and do some work building your PC. Long term you atleast have scalability. If you want Portability. go with a non P4 laptop with atleast 1gig of processing power and 1 gig of Memory. For kicks you may want to add 2 usb ports in fron of the gear shift next to your lighter. for any type of uploading and what not. just my thoughts

As much as I would like to go with the bezel/screen in console, It would cost me a fortune so thats why I decided to go with the fold out. I still havnt made my mind up about weather to go with a laptop in the boot, or to build a computer and put it there. Mainly because I still dont fully understand how the PSU/startup shutdown controllers and all of the other powering devices work. Specially if i do go with a laptop.

As for my "oversized" back bumper, Im sure you've heard of Rieger. Thats a Rieger bumper; the photo is what makes it look "oversized" because of the angle it was taken and because the car was on a slope.

Im still waiting for my screen to arrive its taking forever to get here.

Comment

Working...
          X