Auto Mute Head Unit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Mute Head Unit?

Does anyone know of a device that will automatically mute the HU when a sound is sent to it's AUX? My goal is to be able to have the computer mute the radio so that I can hear GPS directions through my car's speakers and unmute it after it is done.

if your using RR and iguidance i know there is an auto ATT feature there check it out its what i use
    MY build...a walk thru, finally getting to it

Comment

But isnt that only if all audio is routed through the computer? Basically I want to keep the radio separate from the computer. I just want the sound to go through the AUX of the radio so that it plays through the cars speakers. So I guess I didn't describe it very well.
      Maybe there is an easier way to do this?

Comment

If you switch your head unit to AUX, wouldn't that cut the radio anyway? I haven't seen a head unit that will play two sources at once - either it's radio or it's AUX, not both.

Comment

Yah, I just wanted the audio from the AUX to come through automatically. Guess I will just forget it and do like everyone else and run the radio stuff on the computer as well.

Comment

I believe some On Star systems will do that, but I'm not sure. You'd have to look into your specific head unit and options (the ones you have and the ones that are available). Also if you want to do PC applications while listening to the radio, you won't be able to as the PC will always show a signal to the head unit while it's on. Reads like you want to circumvent only a couple (if that) button presses.

Comment

Yah, it was mainly for GPS so that when it tells you the directions I wouldnt have to have the radio off to hear them.

Comment

OK, so here is what I want to do since my dream was squashed :P
                Please let me know if this will work or not:
                1. Get a USB sound card with 4 outputs (not sure where to find one right now)
                2. Get a cheap AMP to increase the volume from the PC.
                3. Get a HD Radio receiver for my computer
                4. Hook everything up and play the radio though my computer

And do you think that amp would be fine for my case? Not really wanting to give myself hearing problems. Plus with factory speakers I am thinking anything above 50 watts will blow them

Comment

Working...
                X