Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need mass storage for music. Is a carpc needed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need mass storage for music. Is a carpc needed?

I will save everyone the "im a newbie" bs, you will find this out on your own.
    I drive an 08 Explorer and plan on installing an after market system. ive been looking at quite a bit of HU's and none of the ones that i have found are able to store/read music greater than 4g, this is a problem for me...I know i can go the whole 160g ipod route but do not want to..I simply want something (for now) that i can store mass amounts of music on (search and find music instead of scrolling through an *** ton of songs). Whether i can intergrate into the after M HU or if i need a whole carpc instead. If i do need a carpc, i do not need to surf the web, control my whole vehicle or trim toenails. As i said, for now, i simply would like to have something that can store an *** tone of music on, and possibly upgrade later.

BTW ive searched for threads about connecting carpcs to stereos. All the thread i find are about stock stereos and i have read very little on preamp outs that the carpcs may/may not have...this is one of my worries with this carpc thing, the wiring....

for those that need/are interested heres everything..
    08explorer
    200a alty big 3
    yellow top
    kin 2400
    jl 300/2
    hex500
    2 15 IXL
    Orion 5000d

there are some players that can play directly from a hard drive so you dont really NEED a carpc, but it would definately be a fun project
    2003 Nissan Xterra Worklog

Total amount spent so far: $1196.64

You will probably spend AT LEAST 2x what you initially budget for your CarPC Project!

2003 Nissan Xterra - Modifications

Comment

if all you want your system to do is play music, then no you don't need a carPC.

there are a few high end head units available that have internal HDDs. but the HDDs are small and don't leave much room for user files.

there are many head units with USB inputs, and many more that can accept USB inputs with an add-on module. you can use the USB input to connect any "mass storage device" (MP3 players, thumb drives, USB HDDs. etc).

as far as carPC audio hookup is concerned, check out the How do I Connect my CarPC to My Audio System? FAQ

F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
      Fusion Carputer [2.0]
      Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

btw the link is sick....good deal

Comment

%^$^$&^$%....i guess my last post didnt post....i guess that might have been agood thing considering i was quite annoyed....

I know there are HUs out there that have hdd's. I guess i didnt clearly state that there wasnt enough room in the hdds for the type of storage i wanted...even though i did say there werent any units that i found that could store/read music more than 4 g in my first post......secondly....i know there are HU's out there that have usb..and again i thought i had said that - store/read music more than 4 g - but i guess i didnt....
          again this may have come across a little dick headish and i apologize im just trying to get some things figured out before i return home....

any further inputs greatly appreciated

Comment

wtf is the point of still using the existing HU if you have a carpc??

maybe volumes controls and such???

Comment

I have a Pioneer HU and plugged a 250GB usb drive into it with my music.
              current projects

Comment

what pioneer hu?

Comment

Originally posted by y_d0c View Post
                  wtf is the point of still using the existing HU if you have a carpc??

maybe volumes controls and such???
                  i ADDED a headunit to a working headless setup because i missed the radio... the radioshark i was using sucked
                  2003 Nissan Xterra Worklog

Total amount spent so far: $1196.64

You will probably spend AT LEAST 2x what you initially budget for your CarPC Project!

2003 Nissan Xterra - Modifications

Comment

I use my stock unit in my 03 Accord because it kept the build cheaper. (I didn't need to buy an amp or a radio tuner to keep radio ability.) I would like to, in the future, make it a headless setup, but that requires a bigger budget. My first setup only cost me about $150.
                    03 Accord Sedan CarPC

Comment

Rockford had a unit called the OmniFi. Its been discontinued, but I'm sure there's units out there (check eBay)

Comes in 2 flavors, one for the home, one for the car.

The one for the car has 20GB storage, separate control panel and optional sync via wi-fi

Here's a link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-irgo7hd...aspx?i=575DMP1

Comment

what pioneer hu?

If you go to the site you will see info about USB connected iPod etc.

If you read a bit you will see that you can plug in any standard USB drive into them...

The cheapest one right now with that is DEH-P4000UB.

It can handle up to 250GB of storage, and almost every type of audio format (all the standard ones...no uncompressed ones)
                        current projects

Comment

If i do need a carpc, i do not need to surf the web, control my whole vehicle or trim toenails.
                          Trim Toenails, damn, let me get VB6 out and code up a plugin for RoadRunner to do that, I don't think we have that one yet.

for those that need/are interested heres everything..
                          08explorer
                          200a alty big 3
                          yellow top
                          kin 2400
                          jl 300/2
                          hex500
                          2 15 IXL
                          Orion 5000d
                          WTF is all that jibberish supposed to mean, did you just fart out a load of numbers and letters.

Jeez when you said you were a newbie, I thought you meant a newbie to Car Computers not communication.

Disclaimer : Comments above are merely imitating the attitude you are showing in your posts. Don't like it? deal with or change your attitude.

Comment

For trimming toenails I am sure a simple belt grinder under the steering wheel, or maybe passenger side, would be adequate.

Pedicure to go!
                            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Working...
                            X