Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to put my monitor?

Hello,
    I just recently came into possession of a 1999 Ford Contour from my Grandmother, and I'm looking into installing a mac mini into it. I've been looking around and decided that I didn't like the idea of such a small screen for the install. I don't want a carputer... I want a computer in my car... Anyway, the dash of the Contour doesn't have a space to really mount the monitor to. Any ideas?

Have your windshield tinted white and use a projector mounted to the roof in back. You'll be the talk of the emergency room.

Tricky install for the screen, I imagine your dash looks somewhat like this:

Options I can see:
    1. Relocate HVAC controls and turn the stereo hole into double DIN.
    2. Slice up the center consol beneath the radio (tough to use safely while driving)
    3. Fold down from the ceiling in the center just behind the windshield
    4. Something wonky w/ the sunshade perhaps.
    Chrysler 300 - Fabricating
    http://hallert.net/

Comment

That's what my dash looks like. I just saw a photo where the monitor was mounted from the passenger side footwell. It looked interesting, and might work. Any ideas?

Comment

Whoa .. ole HUGE pic !! lol
        The smartest Peanut in the Turd...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...co-so-com.html

Comment

Looks simple, take out the radio... then move the ac/heater controls... and whala huge space.. Good luck.. hope this helped!
          The smartest Peanut in the Turd...

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/work...co-so-com.html

Comment

Also looks like there is room below the HU...but you will lose the use of your cupholders...

Or get a motorized unit that fits in place of your HU.
            current projects

Comment

Hm... I think I've got an idea. Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by mullinge View Post
                I just recently came into possession of a 1999 Ford Contour from my Grandmother, and I'm looking into installing a mac mini into it
                why a mac mini?

I've been looking around and decided that I didn't like the idea of such a small screen for the install.
                what size do you consider to "such a small screen"? are the standard 7" or 8" screens too small for you? if so, what size do you want to use?

7" screens are tough to use with a regular computer desktop, but a good front end makes it easily usable without 'squinting' at the screen, which also makes it much safer to use while driving.

I don't want a carputer... I want a computer in my car...
                the main difference between a carputer and a 'computer in the car' is how it is installed...

if you mount a laptop on a gooseneck mount and plug it into your factory radio, then that is just a 'computer in a car'... once you build/mold a computer monitor into your dash (replacing your factory radio), then it becomes a carputer.

since you're asking where to mount a monitor (to be hooked up to a mini-pc), it sounds to me like you do indeed want a carputer

the dash of the Contour doesn't have a space to really mount the monitor to. Any ideas?
                others have already suggested a few options that could fit a 7" monitor; but based on your fist post, it sounds like you want a bigger screen.\

Hm... I think I've got an idea. Thanks guys!
                care to share it with the rest of the class?

LOL, I hated it when a teacher would say that!... but anyways, what's your idea?
                F150 Truckputer [1.0] (coming soon!)
                Fusion Carputer [2.0]
                Fusion Carputer [1.0]

Comment

Originally posted by FusionFanatic View Post
                  care to share it with the rest of the class?

LOL, I hated it when a teacher would say that!...
                  Not surprising considering it was an all male school and he was talking about your todger.

Comment

Originally posted by FusionFanatic View Post
                    why a mac mini?
                    Compact size and it has an intel processor that can run windows.

Comment

I wanted a Mac Mini because I love mac, and it is the cheapest and easiest Mac solution for a car. What I mean by a computer in my car is that I don't want a frontend, I want a clearly seen Mac running as normal, just in my car. I was thinking, for this purpose, to use a 15" touch screen. Methinks I'll mount it sort of like this...
                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...hi-galant.html

That seems to be a good solution. I'm going to get together with my friend who knows cars better than I do soon, and we're going to talk it out... The hardest part will be building the custom mount. Then again, I'm still working on funding this project...

Comment

I would definetly remove the radio first. The rest depends on the screen size as you can fit the 700IDT – 7" IN-DASH LCD Monitor w/ VGA & Touch Screen.
                        Chek the following link:

http://www.xenarcdirect.com/home.php?cat=259

Comment

Working...
                        X