No announcement yet.

Brand new member! My CarPc project and a little bit about me.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new member! My CarPc project and a little bit about me.

Hey everyone my name is Deano I'm 21 (22 on the 19th of this month) I'm from England. I currently own a 2000 BMW Z3. I am a vehicle technician (fancy mechanic if you want to put it that way) working for Ford.

For a long time I wanted to build my own desktop PC for home use. It took me a little while to finally get my rear in to gear but once I had bought all the components it took me a few days to get it all up and running. After completeing my desktop I then had the urge to do it again. As I said earlier it did take me a little while to build the cpu in the first place and I finished the computer about 18 months ago, the urge is still strong and putting a pc in a car really appeals to me.

So I have been doing a little bit of research here and there and it didn't take me very long at all to stumble upon this little gem of a website. Now I am really getting ready to start this little project. I'm not sure whether the project will end up in the Z3 or a Mazda RX-8 or possibly a Nissan 350z.

The use for the Car PC. In my opinion having a pc in your car is pretty cool, regardless of what it runs but that would be a waste of potential. The main uses for the PC would be listening to music, watching DVD's, sat nav, using my mobile phone through bluetooth and maybe access to the internet.

I plan on buying most of my stuff from the store. Do you guys think that is a good idea or should I shop around for other stuff? What sort of set up would you recommend I go for.

I have a very small bit of experience in comps but when it comes to programmes I'm useless so I have alot of reading to do around here before I get up and running, I do plan on buying all of the hardware first though so that at least I could have it running.

I would be grateful of any hints or tips you guys could give me along the way. I look forward to getting to know some of you and maybe getting this project off of the ground.

Cheers, Deano.

If you live in the U.K., it will be cheaper to source your stuff in the U.K. Customs duties are apparently quite stiff. For a site with lots of locals, try
    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
    Want to:
    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

What kind of budget you looking at? That is really the determining factor on setup.

Also, are you going in-dash or just a touchscreen in the dash with the computer in a case elsewhere?
      2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

[----------] 100%
      [----------] 90%
      Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
      [----------] 90%

Thanks for the link Bug I will check that place out too.

Well I'd like to say I'm going to splash it all on my credit card so it doesn't really matter but if I'm honest I wouldn't like to spend much more than like £800.

Well ideally I would like to have an in-dash set up but my BMW is a single DIN, it would be mush easier of it was a double DIN like in most Fords, so I think my best bet would be to have the comp in the (very small) boot and have the touchscreen placed somewhere in the dash.

When I built my home comp I used alot, they are great for what I wanted then. They don't seen to have much in the form of mini-atx or small form motherboards. So I will have to look around that why I thought the store here would have been great but I know what you mean about the sting of customs.