Question regarding Power setup of Car PC in Mazda 6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding Power setup of Car PC in Mazda 6

I'm installing a CarPC into a Mazda 6. Planning to stick the PC under the passenger seat and display in the dash in the map pocket.

I'm at the point where I'm setting up the power for the devices. From my current reading this is what I've come up with. Please provide opinion on what you think of this setup shown in the diagram below. If anyone can suggest how to connect the wires to the battery in a Mazda 6 and where I might be able to run the wires through to the cabin, please let me know.

looks from your drawing that your using twice the number of fuses than you need to. You only use a fuse at the start of a piece of cable. As for cable size I could only give you sizes in metric which will be about as useless to you as gauge is to me lol. That said all this has been covered hundreds of times if not thousands so a search would be a good idea.
    Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

Actually I'm in Australia, so metric would be quite useful to me. I got the 'gauge' measurements from other threads on these forums.

In regards to the number of fuses. I watched the video on the front page of http://www.mp3car.com/, and it makes a big point of putting fuses at both ends. Have I misunderstood what it was meaning?

Originally posted by v8 scimitar View Post
      looks from your drawing that your using twice the number of fuses than you need to. You only use a fuse at the start of a piece of cable. As for cable size I could only give you sizes in metric which will be about as useless to you as gauge is to me lol. That said all this has been covered hundreds of times if not thousands so a search would be a good idea.

Comment

You only need to put one fuse at the battery and 2 at the distribution point. (ie. on the supply side), so 3 fuses in total.
        Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Thanks Meddler for the clarification.

Comment

What did you pay for your screen you put in the map box I live state side and I've been trying to find one forever where did you get yours?

keep me posted about how your project goes I've been trying to work on a carputer project as weel for the last few months and I need all the help i can get.
            Do us all a favor and ram your head into a wall.

Comment

Originally posted by alphaae View Post
              What did you pay for your screen you put in the map box I live state side and I've been trying to find one forever where did you get yours?

keep me posted about how your project goes I've been trying to work on a carputer project as weel for the last few months and I need all the help i can get.
              I got it second hand for free actually which was pretty cool.

Comment

I should note I haven't actually got the screen and PC installed yet. We have most of the parts not including all the power cords. I had a look at the battery in my car to see how to connect the power cable to it, but looking at the battery I'm not sure where I should be connecting it. Should I connect it straight onto the positive plug on the battery? Because it's rather big and enclosed.

I've included a photo below of the battery.

Comment

Running wires through the cabin can be done by looking in the engine bay on the firewall for rubber grommets, there will be your entry point.

G/L with it.

Glad to see more people from down-under giving this ago.

Hey Meddler, should be going to Dorans this week for some fabrication and wiring up the carpc (finally)
                  New Car PC Build list in progress

Comment

Thanks for the tip Kosti, that will help me figure out where to run the cable. What I still can't figure out though, is how to attach it to the battery source itself.

Comment

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-owZnHhr...de.html?page=2

I bought the terminal ring at my local cartoys.
                      Cost 19.99 (4 pieces), I guess I have enough spares for a lifetime
                      dsatx in voompc 2 case <HERE>

Comment

DonnaLea,

Where do you live, If you want to meet up, I might be able to give you some suggestions.

if you want, pm me and we can sort something out.

@Kosti: About time (like I can talk!!!!)
                        Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Originally posted by skuller View Post
                          http://www.crutchfield.com/S-owZnHhr...de.html?page=2

I bought the terminal ring at my local cartoys.
                          Cost 19.99 (4 pieces), I guess I have enough spares for a lifetime
                          Skuller, thanks for that link. It will be of great use indeed!

Cheers

Comment

Hey DonnaLea,

Like Meddler said, both he and I can help out, I'm in the St-George area and work at NRyde, so if your ever nearby then just drop by and well give you a hand.

Once my system is in (sadly i didn't get to Dorans) blew my motherboard , waiting for RMA) so once it's all in there we'll arrange another Sydney meet and hopefully this time I show up!
                            New Car PC Build list in progress

Comment

Originally posted by DonnaLea View Post
                              I got it second hand for free actually which was pretty cool.
                              Second hand for free....I hate you

KNow any other of your friends that got some free second hands around I would be willing to pay you for them
                              Do us all a favor and ram your head into a wall.

Comment

Working...
                              X