Trying to keep it cheap...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to keep it cheap...

I've already emailed one forum member about using an old pc rather than trying to build a small one but if that won't work out or whatever does anybody have an old system they'd be willing to sell for like < $80? 7" or so touch screen would be helpful too?

Thanks,
    Alex

i don't mean to rain on your parade, because you can do a carputer cheap. but not $80 cheap.

you can use an old computer, but you will have to power it with a dc - ac inverter, or a dc power supply. both of which would cost you >$50.

If you use a laptop you can just run it off of the laptops battery.

But the touchscreen is the problem. Its very difficult to find even used 7" touchscreens for less than $120.

Comment

Also with a used touchscreen, the resistive sensor (the actual touch part) has already had a lot of working days behind it, and these things fail on a regular basis. A 1.5 to 2 year operating cycle is normal for one, so if you get a 2 year old screen that works now, it may not tomorrow.

Better just spend the $200 on a brand new one from china.

Also wires and the amp add cost too. I know my power wires alone were pretty expensive and copper has only gone up in price since then!
      Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
      1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
      30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
      15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
      Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
        Better just spend the $200 on a brand new one from china.
        Do you have a homepage for that one ? sry for ot.
        Looking forward to picking up a '99 Ford Focus and stuffing a CarPC into it! I'm going for the OEM look. If anyone has tips or are willing to help me, please feel free to contact me!

Comment

Originally posted by dencker View Post
          Do you have a homepage for that one ? sry for ot.

that would be eBay.

Here is one I found with a 2 second search on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Lilliput-7-Touch...QQcmdZViewItem

They always come out to $180 to $200. Some sell for $120 and have $80 shipping, some sell for $200 and have free shipping, but it always works out to $200-ish.
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

gotta love eBay
            mp3 player accessories
            cars.com

Comment

that would be eBay.
              Oh, neat man! Thanks for the tip. Well, I'm from Denmark, but a lot of the eBay dudes are from Germany, so that's like no problem. But that's a very nice tip! You just saved me a couple'a hundred bucks including the shipping

EDIT:
              Just found that the link you provided even had the same shipping for the US as well as Denmark/Europe I gotta look further into this whole eBay thingy I see.
              Looking forward to picking up a '99 Ford Focus and stuffing a CarPC into it! I'm going for the OEM look. If anyone has tips or are willing to help me, please feel free to contact me!

Comment

hi, everybody,i was wondering where to get a cheap vga-video converter box. i saw them on ebay, but i think the prices were too high. i would like one that costs less than 50 bucks. also, i need a screen as well, and some type of media controller

Comment

Originally posted by kayrose View Post
                  hi, everybody,i was wondering where to get a cheap vga-video converter box. i saw them on ebay, but i think the prices were too high. i would like one that costs less than 50 bucks. also, i need a screen as well, and some type of media controller
                  You will be sorely disappointed with the video quality. If you are planning to use a composite screen you should rethink that.

And I got both of mine (component out) on eBay for around $40 shipped that I use for media centre PCs.

Comment

Originally posted by spider87 View Post
                    I've already emailed one forum member about using an old pc rather than trying to build a small one but if that won't work out or whatever does anybody have an old system they'd be willing to sell for like < $80? 7" or so touch screen would be helpful too?

Thanks,
                    Alex
                    I'd like to buy a system cheap, too. Does anyone have one they want to sell me for $50 or less? If it had a transflective sunlight readable screen, that would be good.
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

You guys be nice to the newbies.
                      Tidder

Try RevFE
                      The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                        So much fun...

Comment

Also with a used touchscreen, the resistive sensor (the actual touch part) has already had a lot of working days behind it, and these things fail on a regular basis. A 1.5 to 2 year operating cycle is normal for one, so if you get a 2 year old screen that works now, it may not tomorrow.
                          considering this, wouldn't be wiser to use a non-touchscreen LCD, with a $50 USB touch screen film instead of a lilliput or symilar?

question: is it possible to change the Lilliput resistive sensor instead of buying the whole monitor?

I have the tendence to go a little rough on these very delicate hardware, and if in regular use it lasts 1,5 yrs, with me it should probably waste in 1yr or so! LOL

Also wires and the amp add cost too. I know my power wires alone were pretty expensive and copper has only gone up in price since then!
                          TOOOOOOTALY agree!

I've spent over $80 JUST on wires! actually just the 3 pair of RCA i have for audio costed about $100!

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                            I've decided to join the Mod Thread Mafia....
                            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                            Want to:
                            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Lol bugbyte i get it. No I was just looking for someone's hand-me-down. Well different question. Is it possible to get a 4.5 inch touch panel rather than a touch screen? I bought a 4.5 inch lcd monitor but I would like touch if possible. Can you buy them somewhere? I haven't seen them anywhere...

Comment

Working...
                              X