Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with getting this thing running PLEASE!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with getting this thing running PLEASE!!!

Hey Everyone I am in some serious need of help! I "think" i have everything hooked up right. None of the stuff i bought has instructions and i am having the hardest time finding wiring diagrams anywhere. I am at my laptop with everything right next to me. I have my mother board, a hard drive hook up, a moniter plugged in and I am using a m2-atx. I have power going to the going to the m2-atx. but i can figure out how to turn the pc on. I am in every snese of the word a NEWBIE.. I NEED SOME HAND HOLDING PLEASE.. I AM LOSING IT! LOL

Have you never actually built a PC before? yikes...

Well look in the manual that should have come with your mobo and there is a step by step install guide for the basics.

You have a mobo, a hard drive, a power supply, and a monitor... How do you have them connected? Where is your RAM? Where is your CPU?
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

pcu is one with the motherboard. i have the ram installed as well. As i said in the first post nothing has instructions. I thought if someone had a similar set up could just tell me alot faster or point me to some pictures so i can compare. As far as how do i have them connected... that is the issue i am having. so i am asking for anyone that can help me connect them the right way.. I can post pictures tomorrow of how the set up is.
      Thanks in advance.

And to the "have i built a computer before" again see my first post where I mention that I am the very meaning of a Newb.

Comment

Well everything sold today has a manual online... Perhaps searching a bit and you can find the manual.

As to how to connect everything, it is simple. PSU goes to everything. Connectors are idiot-proof, only work one way. Harddrive if IDE goes the IDE port. If SATA it goes to a SATA port. Really that easy. Monitor goes to the VGA port on the mobo like always. As for powering the M2, you need to connect the ignition wire, the constant 12v wire, and the ground wire.
        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I Think I might be able to help you out. first of all look at my diagram and tell me if you have it wired up the sameway? If so, then tell me, is it in the car yet? or are you doing this on the bench? If your doing it in the house then what kind of power source are you using?

I have my jumpers set on my power supply to mode 2 (suggested).

Thanks Phil
          Attached Files

Comment

wow....of course we all have a similar set-up...I mean this is a CarPC forum. I'd bet that just about everyone with a CarPc has a motherboard, a hard drive, and a monitor...

Did you try searching online for the m2-ATX manual or your motherboards manual? That might be a useful skill to learn in this hobby.
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

so the cpu wont fire up unless the ignition switch is also hooked up to power? can i just put that to the Positive terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by Ricksastar View Post
                so the cpu wont fire up unless the ignition switch is also hooked up to power? can i just put that to the Positive terminal?
                You can, sure.
                But it defeats the purpose of the integrated shutdown controller. The vast majority of us like the convenience of having the PC turn on with the car's ignition.
                Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Yeah, that is what I would like to do...

Comment

in a first stage of mounting I wouldn't care about ignition power up, this can be added later with a simple switch or even a CI set to power up the PC after the start engine quits draining the battery, avoiding low voltage and overcharging the font!

this is quite secondary for me, one thing is certainly needed, and that is a swich on button!

Comment

ok so i just put the ignition wire with the Positive... I have the fans actually running!!! that is something i guess. i can also hear the hard drive working as well.. but i dont get anything on the monitor and no lights on the key board.. thoughts?

Keyboard lights are on now.. but still no monitor

Comment

I had the same problem with a friend's PC 3 days ago! it was the font, check if the font is perfectly working!

what kind of monitor are u using? a regular 110V monitor or a lilliput or something like it wired in the same font?

I'll make a diagram of test mounting that should work, that's basically what I do to test components when thing go wrong! in a few minutes I post it here!

Comment

ops, sorry, I called the power supply "font" that was just dumb error! hahaha in portuguese supply is "fonte" so...

here is the scheme! it's pretty obvious, but with an image is easier to help!

it SHOULD work like this!

at first install like any other PC, with keyboard and all the stuff, when you get it running and all the programs and stuff installed and working propperly, than you can go for touch screen only!

Comment

Thanks for the FEEDBACK!!

I think that is what i have? here is the setup..

Comment

that's a battery charger?

they usually give 13,8-14,4V output for charging 12V batteries, maybe there's too much tension for the M2, that should NOT be a problem, once the M2 is made for car enviroment, and whith alternator on the tension goes up to 14,4V in any car, but it MIGHT be the problem!

try powering the M2 out of a regular molex from a regular ATX power sup.

try changing things! try powering the motherboard with a regular AC ATX power supply instead of the M2, try using a different monitor, and try the monitor u have with your PC, you should find out WHERE is the missing link! there's no other path to it! go trying each piece in a reliable, known system (your desktop PC) untill u find what is not working!

check the jumpers in the motherboard, and try finding the manual and see how it should be!

I've had weird problems with a mobo Li batt too!

there's tons of things that can lead to such a problem! connecting the internal speaker of the mobo (that one that makes the annoying noise when something is wrong in boot) may help finding the problem!

try each component sepparetly and tell us what happened!

good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X