i need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need help

ok i have a double din screen in my car what i want to do is hook up my laptop so that it will display the desktop on the screen and mount a touch pad in the console so i can put the laptop in the back and listen to my music on it. my question is is it possible to do this thru a usb port where i have 1 cable to plug into my laptop and have video and audio converted into rca

They make usb->vga adapters and also usb sound cards and usb touchpads. It will all be very choppy running with the video too.
    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

well i have a vga output on my laptop... basically what i want is like the adapters used to convert analog media ie from a video camera to digital but i want it to go in reverse convert digital into analog... from what i can tell the nintendo wii has a usb to A/V rca cable to connect to the tv

Comment

Originally posted by wkndpaintballer View Post
        ok i have a double din screen in my car what i want to do is hook up my laptop so that it will display the desktop on the screen and mount a touch pad in the console so i can put the laptop in the back and listen to my music on it. my question is is it possible to do this thru a usb port where i have 1 cable to plug into my laptop and have video and audio converted into rca

Outward conversion is a video card. That simple. If you want it in USB form, then get a USB external video card...

And no the wii doesnt do usb to video output. Not all tiny connectors are USB. They just use a connector and put their own info over the line. There is no such thing as a video adapter "cable" that will go from usb (a data standard) to vga (a video standard).

If you want more than 1 cable to connect each time, then get a "pc to tv" converter. But the quality will crap crap crap. I would not even think about doing this unless you are getting a VGA quality screen.
        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

You need to tell us a little more about your screen and laptop. Does your screen have VGA inputs? If it only has RCA inputs than your quality is gonna suffer no matter what. Does your laptop have S-Video out? They make cables and adapters that go from S-Video out to RCA.
          Love

Comment

ok my screen is a jvc double din touchscreen head unit with 1 set of A/V rca input... i have a compaq f756nr it has 3 usb ports a vga output and s-video output... my objective is to have to plug in only 1 cable into the computer and have audio and video to my head unit... i do not plan on using the head unit to control the pc only to view the screen

Comment

If that's all you're trying to do, cables with s-video connectors on one end and phono (A/V) connectors on the other are cheap and plentiful; most decent-sized supermarkets have them. Be warned though, the video quality will not be good.
              http://sticksout.blogspot.com

Comment

my objective is to have to plug in only 1 cable into the computer and have audio and video to my head unit...
                Why only 1 cable? The easiest way to do it is to do what Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrmachine said. Buy the cable at walmart or bestbuy or something. It will be good enough for watching movies and playing music, anything past that and you're gonna be guessing whats on the screen.
                Love

Comment

so does a svideo cable have audio?

Comment

Yes but it needs to go into your audio jack on your laptop. Those cables are really three cables in one. One goes to from S-video to RCA video and the last two go from your audio jack to two RCA audio plugs (right & left)
                    Love

Comment

This is essentially what you want:

[media]http://www.yycomputer.net/products/cable/s-video-rca.jpg[/media]
                      Love

Comment

so does a svideo cable have audio?
                        Originally posted by rEegLer View Post
                        Yes but it needs to go into your audio jack on your laptop. Those cables are really three cables in one. One goes to from S-video to RCA video and the last two go from your audio jack to two RCA audio plugs (right & left)
                        Just to be clear here, svideo contains no audio.

But you can buy a cable that as reagler said has multiple cables wrapped inside it, which has video and audio. But again on the laptop side and the headunit side, you will be plugging in more than 1 wire each time. Also the touchscreen will not work, and again the video will suffer big time. Hook your laptop up to your tv using the svideo cable. Look at how it looks, and you will believe us.

Comment

ok here is what im thinking get a usb hub and an external video card and external audio card that will all stay in the truck.. when i put my computer in the truck all ill have to do is hook up the 1 usb hub to my computer and ill have video and sound... would this work

Comment

From what i know, USB video cards aren't cheap and they are bottle necked because USB can only all so much bandwidth to go through it. They make those for people who don't have analog signals and only digitial. But i also have never used them so who knows. If you get that cable I posted above, all you have to do is disconnect/connect the s-video and audio cables. Using the usb video and audio connector seems like a more complex and more expensive way to go. Plus you would have to use two usb ports, one for video and one for audio.

If this is really the course you want to take, then have at and if you get it to work, write a tutorial!

p.s. toaster, its reegler, not reagler its ok though, i forgive you
                            Love

Comment

how long can u get one of those cables bc im gonna be runnin it from the dash to the very back of the truck

Comment

Working...
                              X