Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a car pc to speak to unibus

Hi all
    New here so be gentle . My current audio setup consists of a sony C7900R hu + XA-300 + XA-C30 with 3 10disc changers. Unfortunately my hu appears to be dying a death. I have also been looking into a car pc and using that to run all the audio. I have enough spare bits to build a reasonable spec (I think) car pc and a dc-dc psu to run it.
    I don't want to get rid of all my changers etc so I wondered if there was any way of getting the pc to interface with the unibus devices. I know that connectors can be obtained and i'm pretty handy with a soldering iron but in terms of software I wouldnt have a clue where to start. Does anyone know of a way to do this?
    Basically I want to have a touch screen single din unit (thats all i have space for) that will talk unibus protocal and then receive the audio on an RCA input card I have, process it, and then spit it out via a 5.1 surround sound card I also have. I will be running front and rear amps + sub amp. I am of course assuming I could run programs such as GPS etc on the pc as well.

You might be able to rig up something with Fusion Brain. Other than that there might be some usb adapter but i doubt it.
    Love

Comment

Hmm. Is the fusion brain just a big picaxe chip? 40pin or something? I have done a bit of picaxe work before so i'm reasonably handy with it. From what I can find, the unibus protocol is a bit of an oddball and so I wondered if anybody had got a working way of talking to it?

Comment

Originally posted by mechsman View Post
        Hmm. Is the fusion brain just a big picaxe chip? 40pin or something? I have done a bit of picaxe work before so i'm reasonably handy with it. From what I can find, the unibus protocol is a bit of an oddball and so I wondered if anybody had got a working way of talking to it?
        it's a PIC, and it won't work for what you want to do.... sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by greenman100 View Post
          he would know
          Love

Comment

Originally posted by greenman100 View Post
            Ah nuts! I was afraid of that. Any ideas on how I can get a pc to talk to the unibus setup? There has to be a way of doing it, surely? Don't care if its serial, parallel or usb.

Comment

Working...
            X