No announcement yet.

fried mobo: need help picking a new one!

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fried mobo: need help picking a new one!

First of all, let me introduce myself. My name is Wil, I'm from CA, and I'm building my first carputer. I fried my Epia M10000, so I'm looking for a slightly faster motherboard. Here are my requirements:

1. Size: Mini-ITX
    2. PSU: must work with M1-ATX 90w
    3. Budget: $80 or less
    4. Use: DVDs, video, music, navi, datalogging, tuning

I'm willing to buy new or used. The m10000 was fine for most of the things I did, but it lagged sometimes with the DigitalFX skin so I want something slightly faster. Any advice will be appreciated.

I have been checking into the new stuff myself- currently using a mATX system as a test. (This is my first carpc.)

I am waiting impatiently for the new Via Nano systems, but if I needed something now I would probably go with Intel Atom.
    I have seen some posts about problems with some boards, but haven't read them...
    But I am certain there are some good boards for carpc use.

Intel d201gly2a is a good option.
      atom is a lil' bit slower, should be fine for digitalfx.
      dsatx in voompc 2 case <HERE>

I've used the D201GLY as well as the D201GLY2 and I like both of them. I was recently using a more powerful system in the car but it seamed overkill and the system was huge. You can also take a look at the new Intel D945GCLF which is seaming to gain popularity. E-itx also has a sale on it right now which looks like a pretty good deal:
        Nick - 08 GG Element
        Custom 3D-CAD Design, Reverse Engineering and Fabrication

Thanks for the advice, guys. I ordered the D945GCLF.

I was wondering... will I need do a clean install of XP?

Your safest bet will be to reinstall. The chip sets are totally different from your old board to your new board and if you don't you'll be having a tough time getting everything running correctly. I'd move anything important off the drive, wipe it, and start from scratch.
            Nick - 08 GG Element
            Custom 3D-CAD Design, Reverse Engineering and Fabrication

I thought so... thanks. Is there a way to pull files off the hd without having to use another m10000?